jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

introductions of adult cat to another

1. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

I have a female (spayed) cat of about a year and a half old.  My son recently had to move and I am keeping his cat a male about 6 or 7 years old for him for a wwhile, but don't know what the trick is to getting them to be friends.  Right now they are staying in seperate rooms, and fighting a lot.  Suggestions?

1. 0
      loriamooreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's tough sometimes to get the cats used to each other, but it does get better; it just takes time.

I most recently introduced a 2 year old male into a house with 13 and 11 year old females. 

While there was some hissing and pawing for a while, there was no damage to any of the cats or the house.  Of course, they were all front-declawed.

What helped the most was letting the older cats see me interact lovingly with the new younger cat, letting them know that I was accepting him into the family and that they should too.

2. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

I seriously need help you guys, they are screaming at each other, and tearing up the house.

3. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

With most animals the trick is to introduce in "neutral" territory. But either way, its pretty likely that one will assert dominance, you should be there to  keep it from getting to viscous

this link:
    http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-anima … -your-home

pretty much shows the same technique I have to do with rabbits, im unfamiliar with any difference between cats. It seems to be the same with any territorial animal.

Neutral territory
    positive reinforcement
    treats and distractions

be very careful to not heap to much attention on either animal