jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Betta Fish

1. jdeschene profile image76
    jdescheneposted 8 years ago

Does anyone have an experience with betta fish as pets?  I'd love to get one, but I feel like I need more information.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. jayney profile image60
    jayneyposted 8 years ago

my boyfriend works with fish he is at work at the moment but he had a diploma in fish and i can find out all info for you if you would like me to

jdescheneposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Wow.  That would be great if it's not terribly in convenient.  I guess what I really want to know is how difficult they are to take care of.

Thanks so much for offering.  smile

3. jayney profile image60
    jayneyposted 8 years ago

i asked him and he said they like shallow tanks with slow flowing water.floating plants and high protein food such as the new hikari betta food. slightly acidic water and thats about it but he said they are really easy to look after

Great!  Thank you so much.  And thank your boyfriend for me, please! smile

4. charlemont profile image83
    charlemontposted 8 years ago

I suggest that you buy a 3 gallon tank (2,5 as a minimum). Bowls are not quite suitable for bettas.

Good to know.  Thanks for the tip.

5. Born Again 05 profile image79
    Born Again 05posted 7 years ago

Easy to care for but you can only keep one in a tank. They will fight to kill one another. They don't receive their oxygen from the water like regular fish do but rather go to the surface to get their air. They can be maintained with out the air pump but you do need to change their water and keep it clean.

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How do they breed?

6. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Wow...the response to fish questions in the forums has exploded among Hubpages users.  What is it about?  Hmmm.  The downturn in the economy?  Making it fun, but fiscally responsible and easy to option fish as pets?

7. 0
    Whikatposted 7 years ago

I've had my two betta's for 3 years now. They are super easy to take care of. Just do not over feed them. I have 1 in a 1 gallon tank and the other in a smaller tank. Good luck with yours. They really are beautiful to watch.

8. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I'm not very good at raising them, but can give you lots of advice on how to hold a betta fish funeral.  smile

9. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

Beta's are extremely cool. I've had a few and I love them. I want to get now actually. The males, I think, are the more beautiful. I have seen them in a variety of colors though mine have always been red, but the blue are also very pretty. They WILL fight with other Beta's and some other fish, but most other fish are fine with them. They are freshwater and do not require tempering-so you don't have to float them in a baggie waiting for their temp to adjust--just plop them in a clean fresh tank. Their size will depend on the size of the tank or container they are in. I used all sorts of things to keep my Beta. Glass jars or vases are beautiful, unique and often largeer then a fish bowl for the same price. They eat Beta food or will feed of some plant species. They are pretty low maintenance and are fun to watch. I kept mine alone in their bowls and they were very happy.

They can get sick-I had one that got ill and died after a couple months, but generally if cared for properly, they will live a long time. We had one for two years.

Please keep in mind that two Beta's in the same tank WILL fight to the death and it is not a pretty picture, also--even though a Beta can survive just fine in a tiny plastic bowl--they will much happier and healthier and grow a little larger in a nice big space.