wolfdogs

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (36 posts)
  1. my last breath profile image59
    my last breathposted 14 years ago

i want to own a wolfdog. wolves have always been my favourite animal. i would like to know if its legal in canada to own one. i cant seem to find anything other than american laws. if you know anything pls let me know.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

1. Alexander Mark profile image82
        Alexander Markposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Wolfdogs can be extremely dangerous.  They are illegal in a lot of places because breeding wolf genes into dogs has this tendency to erase the several thousand years of domestication, resulting in an animals with a huge potential to attack their owners.

Check with your local city/town, then province, in regards to what laws they have about pet ownership.

1. OregonWino profile image61
      OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dito...wolfs are crazy dangerious, as are ferral dogs.  In Iraq, I saw how a few months of running wild for a formaly domestic dog can make them very dangerous and aggresive.

1. profile image52
        kejoboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wolfs are not like you describe. if you look at thier life style properley you will see they are better than some humans at rearing there young and staying as a familey. if you had to live in the wild (no kfc etc) how would you survive?
        a wolf would run at the first sight of a human not attack them.
        you could learn a lot off them

2. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this... I have a hub on wolf hybrids, and I get tons of people telling me I'm a hypocrite because I have a Pit Bull in my picture. Saying that it's the same thing...

Nope...

Difference is Pit Bulls are still domestic dogs, wolf-dog mixes have wild animals bred into the mix.

3. profile image51
      bee99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wolf dogs can only be dangerous if you get them at an older age than one
      if you get while they are cubs it will be fine they'll consider you there mother

3. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Go with a tiger, they are much safer.

4. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think you should do a search on youtube for the wolf man that a documentary was done on. He lived and ate with wolves and said that even they pack could turn on him at any given time. Unless you are the wolf man or Ceasar "The dog whisperer", I would say use common sense. lol

5. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I own a wolf/husky mix and he is one of my most docile animals.  He knows his place in the dogerarchy around here, and is fabulous.  I'm not sure what a 'wolfdog' is.

1. my last breath profile image59
      my last breathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a wolfdog is a wolf mixed with a dog.

2. kenya! profile image61
      kenya!posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wolfdog, i'm guessing what you have lorlie, is a wolf and domestic dog mix.
      wolf mixes can be just as docile as domestic dogs as long as the owner is a very experienced dog owner who knows how to be the pack leader of all the dogs in their pack.
      wolfdogs would only be slightly more dangerous than any other dog if placed in the hands of an experienced, or inconsistent pack leader.
      any dog can be extremely dangerous when it comes to believe it is the pack leader of humans.

i would love to feel confident to own one some day. wolves are absolutely beautiful.

3. mythbuster profile image71
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I good friend of mine also owns wolf-hybrid animals and tamed wolves has told me a lot about the value of these animals - providing, of course - that they are treated well, trained well and that one never forgets about the wolf in them.

On the other hand, my friend studied these animals, including animal psychology stuff for years before owning them. They're animals to be respected and treated appropriately for their size, displays of behavior, etc., not cuddly pets or "watch dogs" as far as I've been learning from my friend. They apparently have their moments whereby they appear like your average pet and might be very docile but always have to be treated with the knowledge that there is something wild in them.

IN reading some other posts such as from CrazdWriter and Lorlie6, I suppose some wolf-hybrids/wolfdogs would be more tame and manageable than others, partly depending on how much wolf is in the animal... interesting topic 'cos I'm an animal lover, especially cats, dogs and rats...

Heck - even a large dog can be a huge responsibility. I hope anyone considering a wolf-mix will think very, very carefully and critically before becoming an owner...

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

My brother-in-law had a wolf-dog mix. It was well mannered with people and even kids. He had a problem with other pets, he ate them. He also excavated a hugh den under the foundation of their house. He was great despite his problems but I would think you may want to give this some thought before adopting.

7. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I've looked into Czechoslovakian wolfdogs, I also only know US laws but I know that even in areas that didn't allow most wolf-dog hybrids still allowed them because they have such a low percentage of wolf in them, but bred with German Shepherds they still look like wolves.

Other than that...I've worked with one 50/50 hybrid, she was part timber wolf and a HUGE animal. She and I got along very well, but she was very picky about how interactions with her were to be carried out, definitely not an animal to have around children or other pets, and only for people who are very well in-tune with canine behavior.

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I have owned 9 wolf hybrids, and my best friend has owned 2. All of them were wonderful pets EXCEPT for one. We had to have her euthanized. She was half German shepherd and half timberwolf. The others were only 1/4 timberwolf.

9. my last breath profile image59

my grandparents neighbours used to own a wolf husky mix. he was the best dog ive ever met. and he seemed to really understand me.

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

relache is right. They are most unpredictable and dangerous.

11. my last breath profile image59

wolves are such misunderstood creatures. im still gonna adopt a medium content wolfdog if i can get a permit.

12. Hongliang Zhang profile image57
    Hongliang Zhangposted 14 years ago

I feel "Tibetan Mastiff" is also a good selection off!

13. JerseyDawg profile image58
    JerseyDawgposted 14 years ago

While wolves and wolf/dog mixes, are beautiful and majestic, and intelligent, they are wild animals and belong in a free and open setting and in their natural habitat. While I respect and love the wolf, and think they deserve protection in the wild, in domestic situations, they are unpredictable and dangerous. They are not dogs and survive more on instinct. At 2 seperate dogs parks I've gone to, several wolf owners would bring them, and it ALWAYS caused a problem with the wolf being aggressive. The wolf realizes its not a dog and tries to dominate, and the dogs did not socialize. Their are a lot of great large breed dogs in shelters that need homes. Let the wolves be wolves.

14. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

It may be a good idea to check w/your insurance carrier to see if you'll still be able to get liability ins. w/a wolfdog.

Also, there's the issue of being legally liable if someone gets injured and sues you.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision.

15. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I have a pure breed border collie, great dog, decendent of the wolf, acts like a wolf, lovely loyal animal and great guard dog, star with a border Collie, very easy to keep and then perhaps graduate to larger dog.....smile

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My husband owned a wolf/husky mix and she was very loving, never turned on anyone, never growled unless you were Mexican because she was abused by Mexicans and she remembered it. But other than that she was very sweet, loyal, protective, but never bit anyone.

Some wolfdogs may be dangerous but like you said wolves are misunderstood. Wolfdogs aren't ALL dangerous!

17. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

They're not all dangerous, but it can be a crap shoot because you're breeding wild animal in them.

18. grannygoodearth profile image60
    grannygoodearthposted 14 years ago

Had you considered a Native American Indian Dog? They are very wolf like in appearance but without being unpredictable. They are great dogs for people with allergies. My best friend (who has a 16 month old son) has a NAID which was purchased in Wisconsin. The dog weighs about 50 pounds but I do know that many NAIDs are larger.

19. profile image52
    kejoboposted 14 years ago

it is possible to have one as a pet although the more wolf that is in the dog the harder they are to keep.you also have to consider your neighbours they might just shoot it just because they can. in north america they have just started a wolf massacre saying that they are a dangerous animal. a wolf will run from a human not attack.if you would like a wolf lookalike have a look at the saarloose you wont get much closer than that.
    ps. a wolf would require approx.15 miles a day excersize.

20. theherbivorehippi profile image66
    theherbivorehippiposted 14 years ago

You should check with your city if Wolf Hybrids are legal or not.  Some places, such as where I live in Michigan, it is legal to still have a Hybrid as long as the animal was part of your "family" and registered before the laws on them went into action.  Although you can own an Hybrid, you cannot breed and sell them to someone living in a location where laws are practiced. They are beautiful dogs and like any other dog...it's all in the way you train them and knowing how to properly handle an animal makes all the difference.  That being said, they will always have a very strong prey instinct towards any neighborhood cats, squirrels, etc.  I have two Alaskan Malamutes and I have seen them kill animals that have ventured into my yard and it is such a violent site. That being said, do your research with your city, etc first before even thinking about it.

21. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

My brother owns one, 75 husky & 25 wolf.  It is the sweetest dog I've ever seen.  However, there was a recent horror story about one in KY that drug a 1 month old baby out of the home severely injuring him.  I guess it's just a matter of choice...and legality in your area.

22. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Think I'll stick to cats, thank you--but that's just me.  Got this thing, not about to have a "pet" I might not be able to defeat in an unarmed fight to the death.

23. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

My step dad owned a wolf husky mix. most un predictable dog I have ever been around. She got so bad nobody including him could get anywhere near her. She attacked my mom one day when mom was just trying to feed her. That was the dogs last day on earth. I had to bash her head with a shovel to get her off my mom.

24. profile image52
    kejoboposted 14 years ago

i wood like a saarloose or similar but i havent got the time to give them the correct exersize or training so i contend myself with reading about them and there habits etc.however i have found that the smaller the dog the more vicious and snappy they are.
    i know of a yorkie that has to be muzled when its out and it will attack its owner at times.and yes iknow its only small but can you imagine what would happen to a baby in a trolley if the kid had its hand out if that dog was passing. we have a staffy and i can trust him with any child in fact he seems happier with kids around him.

25. neoyyf profile image76
    neoyyfposted 14 years ago

It really depends on what genes the offspring get.  An offspring with only 1/4 wolf, will probably just be like a dog.  An offspring with 1/2 wolf, will have more of a chance to be more like wolf. 

There have been tests where people have tried to keep wolves as pets from puppies, and it was possible, but not without its problems.  The wolves were very strong, very energetic, and very naughty.  They always felt like they were the pack leader, and would destroy everything in the house.  They would jump onto the kitchen table at every mealtime that you had and steal the food everytime. 

They also would bite or "teeth" your mouth whenever you ate so that it had a chance to eat the food in your mouth.

They were constantly active, always looking for something to do.  And they would never listen to any commands.

The owners said that compared to dogs, wolves never looked to us for instruction.  They didn't even acknowledge that the human was there.  They did anything they wanted and nothing could stop them.

Why would any one want this?!?!? To me, that's a fully grown Alsation puppy who is dominant, aggressive and untrained. You would be able to get this sort of dog from a working line and pick the most dominant.

If you are adamant on picking a wolf hybrid, please only get a 1/4 wolf mix, and only consider a hybrid if you have experience with large active working breeds.

Otherwise, get a dog.  Huskies and malumutes themselves are quite a handful.  I promise you that!

26. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Wolves are beautiful, but a wild animal is meant to stay in the wild. Yes, some are quite docile, but they can turn on you or someone else at any moment, no matter how "domesticated" you think they are.

I wouldn't recommend owning one until you are EXTREMELY familiar with them. Speak to a breeder about having visitations and perhaps allowing you to help out for a few weeks so you can get to know some of the dogs before making the call about taking one home with you. The breeder may charge you a small fee for this, but it's worth it, especially if you are considering this seriously.

27. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Any wild animal can be tame if you take it at a very young age and train it. A lion or tiger can be tamed if you get them as a very young cub! It takes someone who understands the dangers of these animals to do it safely! It takes ONE time for a wild animal to attack and possibly kill a child or anyone for that matter!

If you really want to own a wolfdog, then do research! I don't mean read a few articles on the internet! I mean actually study wolves in depth! And Go visit someone who owns a wolfdog! Ask questions! Read studies done on these animals! You can't learn anything in a few days! Serious research takes several months to a year!

Nobody should own any wild animal without having some serious knowledge of that animal and be willing to dedicate some serious time in training and learning!

Good Luck and I hope you take my advise and study up before actually getting one!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)