jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Diabetic Dog

1. 60
    Ozziposted 6 years ago

My dog has diabetes. He has 2 injections a day, morning & evening along with meals 8am & 8pm. He's just eaten again before bed midnight (he finished off some steamed chicken). Do I give him more insuline or not??? Many Thanks

2. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

oh wow. what did your vet say? if you're only supposed to give it to him twice a day, stick to that. that doesn't sound like something you want to let him OD on yikes

i hope someone who has a diabetic dog comes along and answers this sad

1. 60
      Ozziposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks cosette. Fingers crossed.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image80
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

Me too!

Is there a veterinarian hotline, emergency number, or emergency veterinarian that you can call in your area?

Why do you suspect he needs more insulin, just because he's had food? Or is he exhibiting other symptoms? Chicken doesn't have much in the way of sugar (mostly protein) as far as I know, but I don't know much about diabetes in dogs.

It might sound silly, but your local operator (or the number you call for information) may be able to help you find someone you can call.

1. 60
      Ozziposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi. Thanks for the advice. He's fast asleep at the moment, though I 'll give them a call anyway just to be sure.

4. 0

good idea.

5. 0

aw the little darling.

good luck!

6. 0
    SquigglesMcBeeBeeposted 6 years ago

hi Ozzi, how is your dog? just wondering. 'k, bai.