Help!? My cat's driving me crazy...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (38 posts)
  1. khawfash profile image60
    khawfashposted 14 years ago

Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can stop my cat from spraying inside my apartment?  Putting him outside during the day while I worked seemed to curve his tendency to spray indoors.  Now, by law, I am required to keep him in so I've got to get a handle on the problem.

Talked to my vet yesterday and she mentioned some kind of spray she would look into that may help calm him down.  I'm somewhat skeptical about it, but willing to try just about anything.

Any suggestions?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

off with his knackers! *wince*

2. profile image0
      tequilarosemama4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello, i am a cat peson just i always try to go for the females but if i do get to have a male cat i would get him fixed. i have heard this helps with the spraying too. we recently moved into a house that had dogs in it with the prior owners and we got this pet spray for odors from lowes it's called petx it's really awesome stuff too it really works. sorry i couldn't have been more help to you. good luck hope you have a blessed day

khawfashposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your help.

Both my cats are fixed.  One male.  One Female.  I've been a cat owner for many years and I've never experienced one like this. 

You have a blessed day as well.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

She may have been talking about feli-way.  We use it and have had great results.

3. khawfash profile image60

That's the name.  I feel better now knowing that someone has used it and gotten positive results.  How expensive is it?  My vet wasn't sure.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is somewhat expensive, and is available several ways.  I would suggest buying a spray -roughly 20.00 US, and applying it daily to problem areas like doorways and corners.  Another way is to use the plug-in diffusers, which are more expensive but do the job continuously.

4. khawfash profile image60

Yes, she mentioned the plug-in also.  I believe I'll go with the spray.  I really appreciate your help with this issue.  Much thanks.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Tom cats spray to mark their territory. Why not get him neutered? That should calm him down, and stop him worrying about 'territory'.

1. Diskobolos profile image58
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, sorry if this is going to offend you, but to me neutering animals is the most disgusting, savage, retarded thing. If you think that crippling animal in order to be more convenient for you is fine then I really have to question you. And yes neutering is crippling and slaughtering - how would you feel if someone would do that to you or your kid?

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

huh? Men and woman get fixed. lol

Yes, they do. Which in my opinion is crazy. Why would I mess up my body like that? Because it's more convenient? Of course in the society in which wide masses are constantly zombified and lobotomized by media sticking bags of liquid in your breast and fixing yourself has become almost desirable...

Lets see which is best, get your animal fixed or continue to overpopulate the streets with more stray and wild cats half of which die from starvation. Where I live there are so many cats running wild the animal shelter has ran out of traps, they also require all animals to be fixed before leaving.

Ok and what does that have to do with you fixing your pat?

huh? pat? Do you mean me getting fixed? Well, I dont need any more kids that I cannot financially support. Do you wanna support them. I could have more for the welfare system and no I have never collected welfare but I dont ever want to either..

6. khawfash profile image60

He is neutered.  He's been for years.  I'd thought they couldn't  spray once they were fixed.

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

So did I. I know the 'spray' is urine and nothing more sinister, but I never thought a neutered Tomcat sprayed!
    Learn somethng new everyday. Oh well, looks like you might be stuck with the shop bought stuff.

8. khawfash profile image60

Yeah, well, it just may do the trick.  Sure hope so.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Neutered cats absolutely do spray, especially if they were not fixed as early as possible.  The spray is a highly concentrated form of their urine and is used to establish territory.  Ctas can feel that their territory for a variety of reasons, some of which are not so obvious.

I have another cat and a dog.  I was thinking that maybe he was marking his territory because of them, then I remembered he was exhibiting this same behavior even when it was only him and I?  Don't know....

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It can drive you nuts looking for the root cause.  I also had a solitary male who sprayed.  I never found out what caused it, but did discover that the feliway helped prevent it.

Yeah, I knew there was something, somewhere that could solve the problem.  I knew other cat owners were experiencing this same issue or had at some time or another.

But I believe feliway will make all the difference.  I really do.  I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and have her go ahead and order me some.

10. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Use a water gun? tongue lol jk, lol. Couldn't resist tongue

11. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Ouch! That is so cold! lol

12. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Its raining cats and dogs on hubbers forum tonight, some was on about their dog jumping and bringing down washing on the line earlier lol

My Leopard geckos pooping all over her tank, normally they go in one spot, she might just be disorientated because I changed the sand in there the other night roll

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

hold his furry ass under water for ten minutes, head and all.

Don't even go there.

14. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Are you sure the cat had both testicles removed. Sometimes there could be a third up inside that didnt drop.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What! yikes really, that one potent cat huh lol lol

2. khawfash profile image60

No I'm not sure about that.  I just took him in and expected everything to be taken care of.  He didn't spray for a good while after getting neutered but he's having a hay-day now.

3. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you'd know if his balls didnt drop, has he still got a deep voice?

4. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then that would have made him an extra testicle...ET phone home!!!

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

more like 3T phone home lol

1. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or more like the other 2 testicles went to the pub whilst the 3rd testicle stayed at home to watch tv.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

LOL it worked for mine. hehe

16. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Im fixed too. lol   But I am serious about the extra testicle. Or he could of only had one testicle that dropped and the vet thought he only had one but the other was up inside.

17. Diskobolos profile image58
    Diskobolosposted 14 years ago

No, I ment your animal, your pet. The argument you made about shelters makes sense, but does not support the fact that you take your pet and have him castrated, because his natural sex drive is causing you inconvenience.

1. irishsoul28 profile image59
      irishsoul28posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok Diskobolos, let me try and make this simple for you as im guessing you really dont get it. As said in a previous post there are millions and millions of unwanted cats walking the streets that have no home, food and have terrible diseases due to the fact that the mother/father was not "fixed"..... it is not cruel to fix your cat, its a very smart and responsiable act as an owner who has more than one brain cell to rub together to do. Not only does it stop what i just described but studies show that a cat lives longer when it has been fixed, they are ALOT more relaxed and not feeling the need to want to go outside, all the meowing when they are in heat etc.
      Did you even know that over 5 million cats ( and also dogs ) are put to sleep in america due to lack of neutering? Your lack of knowledge is truely surprising and for you to think that spaying is solely for the owners convenience is very much off track.
      Do your research and then maybe you will have a better idea how to answer questions you obviously have no idea about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)