jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Min Pin bathroom problems

1. 61
    Lakers114posted 6 years ago

Our 4 year old Min Pin is house trained to go to the bathroom on a pad. Unfortunately, she also goes other places around the main floor. She is usually very good at going on the pad, but lately we have found that she is spreading her droppings further and further out from it. We have told her "no" enough now that when she does it she knows it's bad and just runs to her kennel when she sees us. Can anyone help me as to why she is doing this and how to stop it?

2. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

Take her for regular walks on a leash. Praise her for going potty and quickly return home. She will soon learn.

3. Cygstarz profile image85
    Cygstarzposted 6 years ago

Though it is wonderful that your dog is trained to go "potty" on pads that are in the house...I do think that your Min Pin would benefit from at least two daily walks. As you probably already know, Miniature Pinschers are very energetic and need a lot of exercise! They can also be stubborn...therefore, they need confident owners who are willing to be firm but consistent when it comes to training. Your dog is obviously trying to tell you something! Also, you must alert your dog the second he has done something wrong. If you wait...and scold him later...trust me, he won't know why you are scolding him and will only cower in fear and confusion. If you exercise your Min Pin daily...he will be a happier and healthier pup!

4. anothercindy profile image60
    anothercindyposted 6 years ago

You mentioned that your dog is female -- has there been a change in the household?  Some females will mark territory.  If she feels that there is a threat to her dominance, she'll mark a larger and larger area to prove she's in residence. 

I agree that you must not show disapproval after the fact.  If you haven't corrected with a sharp "No!" within a few seconds of the event, your dog will not know what she's done wrong. 

Try to bond with her by establishing a routine of walking: 1. First thing when she wakes up; 2. 20-30 minutes after feeding; 3. Mid-Day (I'm guessing that's what the pad is for); 4. First thing when you return home; and 5. Again before bed.

Regular walks and routine time with you will reinforce your bond and give her a routine to count on.