jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Electric fences for dogs - will it work for mine?

1. Izzy Anne profile image60
    Izzy Anneposted 6 years ago

I have two dogs.  One very calm and obedient Cocker Spaniel I had raised since a puppy and one Retriever Cross Labrador Cross hound something, that I was suppose to look after till his owner could get settled in a new country.  To cut a long story short, I was left with the dog.  He is a lovely friendly dog, but because his first owner worked from home and never left him alone, he becomes very anxious when I leave the house.  He immediately goes out the dog flap and makes a hole in the fence and tries to find me.  I have to leave the dog flap open for my older dog and the cat to come and go.  I have tried again and again to fix the wire fence, but the dog just moves the cement blocks away and makes another hole in the fence.  A permanent solution will be some kind of "hard" fence, but I just don't have the money for it now. 

But the dog keeps getting out.  He was away for 3 days last week.  I am thinking of getting an electronic fence, but I have read that some dogs can withstand the pain of the shock and will escape anyway.  I also worry because I have electricity pylons next to the fence for about 20m which I read may interfere with the function.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of fence?

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Didn't have any effect on my two.  As a matter of fact I think they enjoyed mild shocks.  Goofy dogs.

2. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

My neighbor has a Jack Russel who chewed holes in the pickets. He put up an electric fence and the dog pulled the wire down and dug under the fence and excavated the nieghbors sprinkler system. I don't think it worked.big_smile

3. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

Very important to stop your dog roaming, sheep or other naimals could be at risk....dogs do what come snatural to them, yes an electric fence will work but it needs to be well fitted, you could also get a dog pen...might be best smile

4. Izzy Anne profile image60
    Izzy Anneposted 6 years ago

I have a dog pen.  It is called the kitchen.  He has tried to make a hole in the door, but so far the door is just scratched.  But he is starting to run away when he notices I am dressing to go out and it is getting more and more difficult to get him into the kitchen.  So I don't think I will be able to get him into a pen either.  Nor will fastening him help for the same reason.  I also hate the idea of fastening a dog with a chain and I also hate the idea of shocking him, but I am at my wits end.

5. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

Many dogs will run through anyway. Sometimes you the underground fence may not line up properly, causing gaps where the dog will find and escape. People and other animals can still get in the yard, which can cause problems for the dog. Also, if you're not home, and your house looses power, so does the fence.

Here's a hub I have about underground fences.

I wouldn't recommend getting it.

Try crating the dog or putting him in a dog-proof room while you're not home.