jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Animal Rights

1. 60
    moonbeamz99posted 6 years ago

I think we should do something about it. I know I'm young but still. We should create a website where we go against animal killing and slaughter. Pretty soon, who knows, it will start being legal for people to do dog fights and all that other cruel stuff. I mean, how come the animals that are getting this done to them don't have a say to this. I mean, people think that just because dogs or cats or whatever don't speak english means that they don't have brains. But what about when you have a lab puppy and they learn to sit for the first time... that proves that they are smart just like us. They understand us, and they have feelings. How can you not know that when they whine, or when they run around with joy, with their tongue sticking out?!

1. LadySeren profile image80
      LadySerenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are lots of organisations who campaign for a humane treatment of animals.  Many have local groups where you can get involved.  Look up the International Fund for Animal Welfare, PETA or the Humane Society as starting points smile

2. LRobbins profile image77
    LRobbinsposted 6 years ago

I agree with LadySeren that there are established organizations doing this, but do think we need to do a better job of educating the public since many of us have no idea how animals are treated.  I always thought that "free range" meant humane treatment, but recently learned that this is not always the case.  Animal testing is something I think is very cruel and something animals should not be subjected to.

1. paul_gibsons profile image61
      paul_gibsonsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

ah yes that reminds me... I once was working on a farm in England and they advertised "free range chickens". So I had a look around and saw one hell of a battery house full of hens and about a dozen chickens trotting round in the yard. So I asked the farmer where his free range chickens were.. "there" he said, pointing at the ones trotting round. "when they stop laying, I let them walk in the yard for a week or so and then sell them as free range". Strictly legal and exactly as per the legal definition of free range (at the time)... There's one born every minute...

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What animal rights? We are still eating them! Humane treatment and then killing? Let's not even go there, we are not ready to deal with it. We better enjoy our steaks and burgers now and suffer from all kinds of diseases later. We cannot even put two and two together. Just try not to eat any meat for a week, you'll see my point.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

you might enjoy reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by michael pollan if you haven't already.

4. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

We can't even protect our babies I don't see much help for animals. The liberals here will support protecting animals over people though.