Huskie Bladder lnfection?

1. Lisa Petrarca profile image60
    Lisa Petrarcaposted 8 years ago

We have a two year old huskie named Allie and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the signs of a bladder infection.  I don't want to just take her to the vet if nothing is wrong because we are very tight for money right now.  I also want to make sure if she does have an infection that I get it taken care of.  She seems to have to go to the bathroom alot on our walks and only does little bits in certain areas.  My husband thinks she's just marking her territory, but I didn't think girl dogs mark a territory.  Can anyone share any thoughts to a naive dog owner?

2. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Signs of bladder infection include frequent and painful urination. The urine may be cloudy or have an abnormal color.  Females will ick at the vulva and ahve vaginal discharge.

Bladder infection needs to be treated promptly as it can cause kidney infection. Vets prescribe an oral antibiotic, which usually must be administered for 2-3 weeks, and at the end of the treatment you usually have to take the dog back tothe vet for another checkup.

Signs of bladder stones include painful urination and blood in the urine. Dogs usually pass them, but sometimes they need to be surgically removed

On most cases, female dogs don't mark territory, so I wouldn't count on that being the case.

The only definite answer you're going to get is from a vet. You're better off just taking the dog to the vet to make sure. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but if it is a bladder infection and you don't get it diagnosed and treated, you're probably going to have to pay more in the long run to treat kidney infection and possibly other disorders.