Money speaks -"Kill Baby Seals"

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. bonny2010 profile image61
    bonny2010posted 14 years ago

that is what organisations such as Care 2 and the Humane Society of the United States are up against in their fight to stop the slaughter of baby seals for the fur trade in Canada- what are your views on this industry

1. cupid51 profile image68
      cupid51posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's awful! Seals are very cute animal. I can't imagine how people might  kill such an innocent animal!

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think it's awful. sadsadsad

3. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sucks

2. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

I also think it's awful sad

They are just babies and they way they kill them (clubbing them) seems just so vicious. And just for the fur!

If there was no demand for this product there would be no need to slaughter them. Who on earth would even want a coat made from a clubbed baby seal. It's just so wrong.

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

yeah, its awful that some people make a living killing we think are cute...

lets get together over lunch and figure out how to stop it... I'll have the surf and turf.. or maybe a chicken sandwich.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

or ostrich..or a cheeseburger..
      wait..I see a spider I have to squish...

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my youth, I was hunted by cougars... so I think it is only fair to return the favour on Mother Nature

4. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

Every animal serves a purpose, whether for food, shelter or clothing. We've been killing them for these reasons for thousands if not millions of years. When it comes to survival - all bets are off.

There are native eskimos that stll hunt seals and whales as part of their everyday life even today - to survive just like they have always done through history.

This has nothing to do with survival and everything to do with fashion. These baby animals are being killed for their fur so that people can have exotic clothing and not for the reasons listed above.

Hey - I like a cheeseburger as well as the next person but this is a whole different issue. If people were killing them to survive as their ancestors did - I have no problem with that.

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Instead of clubbing them, why doesn't the Canadian government let the clubbers use guns so that the seals don't suffer?

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

bullets put holes in things! any animal killed for its hide is clubbed or more often anally electrocuted

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I find it heartbreaking with the commercialization and profiteering in animal furs. I think they should only be available from those that genuinely use the animals for survival. I hope a price is paid dearly in exchange for the life they take for $$. sad

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

We could look to the native American for our conservation ideas! Oh, wait, they would burn thousands of acres to get the buffalo to run off cliffs, thats probably not a good idea.

8. Dame Scribe profile image57

Fire promotes new growth and every buffalo didn't go to waste smile n nobody got $$ tongue

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fire promotes new growth? Well I guess, but if you don't burn whats growing then you don't have to have new growth, you have perpetual growth!

And how do you know the Buffalo didn't go to waste? They would most certainly trade using parts of Buffalo, that would be currency!

1. profile image53
        A Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually Mr Texan the buffalo were driven off the cliffs by the US govt. in order to destroy the food source of the Native American people and to force the migration of the native american people into the reserves...yes they were herded and treated as cattle just as the buffalo was...read your history again!!!  The Native American people honoured their food source, clearly you know very little about the true history of your people and the colonisation both in Canada and the US of the Indigineous Peoples.  And helloo...I am British before you smarty pants suggests I am an Indian.....only I read my history and I am only too aware of how our ancestors controlled and destroyed the food sources and the lands of the Native Americans aswell as committed genocide!  And as for the Inuit people who live off the seal, they of course kill the seal humanely....it is the capitalist thugs that are brutally cruel to the seals.  White people are brutally killing more wildlife in North America than all other First Nations...it is sadly the states of these countries that is promoting and supporting such acts.

And Caravalhophoto...your arguement is clearly racist.  Really, go and spend a month with the people then spout your colonialist bs...you clearly know nothing about the ceremonies, rituals and the hunt itself....even your term Eskimos is racist...I am not even going to argue with such a philistine...yes you do need to find peace and find respect for people you clearly know nothing about.  And I bet you live in North America...thats how sad it really is!

9. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has campaigns every year to stop the slaughter of baby seals..what they are clubbed with is a tool called a hakapick...one side is shapped like a pick.  They walk onto the ice flows and slaughter the seals while their mothers watch and cry leaving the white snow pure red.
    I and my family friends boycott restaurants like Red Lobster and Olive Garden because they buy Canadian Seafood rather than sea food from the local area. 
    Another campaign is the slaughter of Dolphins.  Dolphins are lured into a cove in Japan, they are then netted in and slaughtered...Dolphins stay in a pack, so they don't know to leave.
    Another campaign and won was Disney World in China...sharks were being killed for the purpose of just their fins.."Shark Fin Soup, and the rest of the fish was discarded.
    Don't get me started with the Whale factorys in the waters off Austrailia
    As far as "the eskimos"...they have grocery stores and more money than most since they get government money...so taking a canoe out to kill a Bull Whale (on our indangered species list) and use the excuse sustaining life is just bullsh**
    Okay...thanks for letting me vent...I am just angered by the lack of respect for Nature these days and the death of animals for a needless purpose is just mind blowing.  Peace

1. pddm67 profile image60
      pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Point well made (and taken) smile

Yes the eskimos have grocery stores but some choose to live the way their ancestors did - off the land. The number of whales they kill in comparison to the numbers that are killed daily by commercial fisherman/whale hunters is very different. We are driving them to extinction - not the eskimos. One whale could hold over a tribe/clan for a month. As the native americans did w/the buffalo - each part of the whale is used and none goes to waste - from the blubber to the internal organs to the bones and sinew. Waste not - want not.

What we do is different, we take what we need or want form them and damn the rest.

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
        caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, but it does not need to be done to sustain life...and Bull Whales are on our endangered list, that is the Whale mostly killed in Eskimo Land...my point is the Whale does not "need" to be killed...

A few years back...2005, the Mayor of a Town in Alaska, his 21 year old Son, a 12 year old and an 8 year old were put in a walrus skin canoe at 2 am with no life jackets...killed a Bull Whale and were trying to tow it in...with the waves and no light, the canoe tipped, the children and the 21 year old were killed...again, the act to me was senseless.  it did not need to be done...not only was a Whale killed, but a whole family not wearing any life jackets...the reason given for not wearing the life jackets..."to cumbersome"...senseless.

I understand how the elders think and I agree they do not waste the Whale in any way...but sustaining life is not a good enough excuse to me to kill an animal that is endangered and  the senseless death of children, when a grocery store is around the corner...

These are my views, not to start an arguement...I just have a passion for these animals and it is very hard work campaigning for change...it's frustrating

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

Just like, how did you know they burnt thousands of acres hmm

1. profile image0

Well, its recorded history that they did that, but I never saw where anyone guaranteed that the Buffalo were not wasted.

11. Dame Scribe profile image57

Now, when buffalo tongues were big $$ , that was genuine slaughter and waste indeed. History books don't always tell the truth either as once mentioned about left sided education providers tongue lol

1. profile image0

I didn't learn it in school, the Comanche taught me these things.

12. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

You do realize I'm arguing for arguments sake don't ya? I was bored!

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

At least when the Innuit kill seals and whales they do not waste a single bit...

They do not kill many.

However...there are those others who believe in mass slaughter...I am always against that.

14. LRobbins profile image46
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

I'm Canadian and am appalled and embarrased about the seal hunt, as are most Canadians.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)