I need help with a baby squirrel

1. pntbttrbutt profile image60
    pntbttrbuttposted 8 years ago

I have a baby squirrel,and currently waiting for a rehabber to contact me back,but I feel a tad over my head. My little Lucky may not be so lucky in the morning, because she fell out her  nest. Lucky was bleeding out her nose when I found her but it stopped shortly after I got her home.I NEED HELP!I have no clue what I'm doing, I just have fallen in love with this creature, and I want her to enjoy a long life. This wonderful being deserves to have her life back.Someone please help!?"

2. Inspirepub profile image89
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Make a pouch out of something soft - sheepskin with the wool on is best, or a soft cloth like very old flannel sheets or pyjamas - and carry her close to your body to keep her warm.

See if you can drop a little warmed water (blood temperature) into her mouth from the corner of a flannel.

Warmth and hydration are the main things until rescue gets back to you.

Best wishes!

3. RFox profile image82
    RFoxposted 8 years ago

I second Inspirepub:
    Keeping her warm is paramount. You can use a hot water bottle wrapped heavily in tshirts or a sheet. Don't use a towel, their claws get caught in those. You want her to be warm but not able to get burned by the bottle.

If you have a clean eyedropper they work well for giving water. What you really should do is mix up a rehydration solution. One teaspoon salt, three teaspoons sugar mixed into one quart of warm water. Mix it well then fill the eyedropper. You want to squeeze one drop onto the outside of their lips and see if they suck it in. If she does keep giving her drops until you reach about 20 drops.

Do not go too fast! If they take in too much water too quickly they can aspirate. Just go very slowly with the drops.

Then you want to take a warm, moist cotton ball or equivalent and rub her genital area softly to get her to pee or poo. She may not do it the first time but it's wise to rub them gently after every meal as they can't 'go' by themselves. The mother usually stimulates this function.

You should give 1-2cc of fluid every 2-3 hours.

Hopefully this will help until the rehab contacts you.

If she's bleeding a lot or has obvious broken bones you'll need to take her to the Vet right away. I use to work at a Veterinary Hospital in the mountains and we took care of wildlife as well as pets and this is the procedure we use to follow.

Hope it helps!