Attention snake enthusiasts:

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Randy Godwin just posted a hub with a video of his friend Russ catching a BIG canebrake rattlesnake! Randy is filming.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Catch-A- … ke-Catcher

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 13 years ago

Oh sweet! I'm gonna check that out right now...

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I can't watch it! I hate to see a snake get hurt! smile

4. earnestshub profile image81

OK I looked. No snakes are hurt in this hub! smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't post any kind of pictures of killing snakes, Earnest.  But I really don't know how to keep these reptiles from becoming even more numerous.  We have to really be on guard all of the time when outdoors working on the farm. 

They are everywhere! I recently removed one from my mom's back steps.  Luckily she saw this one before stepping on it.

5. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Sorry about the quality of the video.  I will probably clean it up some and add to it as we catch more in the next few days.  I get lots of comments on my snake articles from those who disagree with killing these snakes.

These canebrake rattlesnakes, a subspecies of the Timber rattler and some say a completely different type, have infested this area in the last decade or so.  The indigenous Eastern Diamondback has rarely been seen locally in over 15 years.  Sometimes we encounter a half dozen or more in a day.  Anybody want a canebrake?

6. profile image0

I think Randy my favorite part was hearing yu say "I can't get my camera to zoom out" lol

I had a disclaimer at the end of the hub about the audio.LOL

2. mythbuster profile image73
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can we get a transcript? (lol)

I'm sure I heard a couple of colourful words there... probably just thrown in for special effects?

This was an interesting vid' - thx for posting.

You shoulda heard the parts I edited out when the snake launched itself off the trailer at my feet while I was filming.  Thanks Mythbuster!

7. profile image0

hehehe it made the video all the better I think. I liked the video!

You ought to see my "How to catch a redneck girl"  video.  Much more danger involved in that one!

8. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I checked it out, I can't stand snakes! If you want to hear a grown women scream that is me! lolollo big_smile

Would that you were Eve!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good one, Randy! Tell 'em about the stench in the river!

I'm saving that one for just the right moment, Holle!  Perhaps it would be more appropriate on the religious forum.

2. AEvans profile image74
          AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What! lolololo of forget that I am steering clear. lolololo big_smile

Just a joke which most women hate, AEvans!

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehehe aaa don't worry AEvans randy and I won't let it touch ya we promise big_smile

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

hahahahahahaha!!!

10. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

oooohhh! That was freaky...oh man. We have lots of poisonous snakes around here. But I dang sure won't kill one....too chicken! I guess if it got in the house I'd hafta do it but, hot dang, they creep me out!

These canebrake rattlers are occasionally found inside homes.  they can enter through a very small hole and end up anywhere in the house.  This doesn't happen too often though!

11. earnestshub profile image81

If they are endangering native species, they gotta go! You could send them to Australia, they would have lots of competition here! smile

Give me your address Earnest and you can be my snake relocation guy!  We now have pythons moving slowly north from Florida.  That's all we need, more snakes!

12. earnestshub profile image81

The old Australian desert joke. "How many snakes does your place run to the acre?" lol

Last fall a 90+lbs 9 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake was killed near a chicken farm a little further north of here.  i suppose he was well fed because of the many rats feeding on the chicken feed.  He probably ate a few chicks too!

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps quite a few chickens even! Snakes do seem to fancy poultry, at least here they do. smile

Apparently this one had all he could eat of both chicks and rats.  He had to be a very old snake to get this huge.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Thanks for posting this Holle. Randy, my birthplace used to be over run with timber rattlers. Now they are not so plentyful and the Turkey population exploded. Good for the hunters, bad for the snake, good for the rodents, bad for us. I saw my mom kill many with her trusty hoe along with the copperheads. She confessed many years later of her fear of them but she needed to protect her babies so kept that hoe handy all summer.

A hoe has dispatched many a rattler from the vicinity of our homes, Ralwus.  These snakes seem to have many babies and keep getting more plentiful every year.

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

One does what one must. get some hogs

I gave the same advice to a lady recently, Charlie.  Hogs will kill and eat any creature they can find.  Good snake control animals plus pulled pork is always a favorite down here.

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Hi, Charlie!!

16. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I've always loved snakes.
    When I was living with my grandmother, I used to catch garter snakes and put 'em in my jean pockets. If I heard a scream from the basement I knew that she'd found a snake in my pocket b4 she'd thrown my pants in the washer..:-)
    Later I'd go to E Oregon to catch western diamonback rattlers. I'd hunt 'em, catch 'em and turn 'em loose.
    The first time my son saw me catch a rattlesnake, he thought I was crazy. I let him touch it, pet it and told him to always let them go. He later caught a small bull snake and kept it until it got to be about 7 ft long and was eating pretty large rats he raised.
    Eventually, we donated "George," his snake, to the Miami, zoo.

I like snakes too, but not the recent invasion of canebrake rattlers in this area.  Working in a garden or trimming the shrubbery can be a risky undertaking unless you inspect each area carefully. 

We do have some beautiful nonvenomous snakes here and I always try to photograph some of the rarer specimens.

17. profile image48
    tori_cute_lolposted 13 years ago

wow rly nice i actually enjoyed readind dis (claps claps claps) lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)