jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Aggressive cockerel

1. 60
    xenobusposted 6 years ago

I have a Blue Silkie cockerel who is absolutely lovely.  He is calm and attentive with all my hens except one blue Orpie who he insists on trying to tread (she's 4 times his size) but as a prelude pecks holes in her head and she bleeds profusely.  Obviously I have treated her injuries and make sure she has no contact with him.  As he is so good with the others, is there any chance I can stop him picking on her so I can let them all out together?  Is there anything I can spray her with to stop him, like you can spray your furniture to stop cats scratching it.

2. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

xenobus - I have six cockrerels - due to the fact tha one of my hens gave birth to six chics and five were cocks - I have this very day had to put one of the weaker cocks back into the pen when he is now helping his father with the 12 hens - the other four cocks are keep seperate, I think that your rooster will continue to harm the bigger hen as he must dominate her - so I would say keep her away on her own or in an adjoined pen so that she has the company with out the risk of harm....Ideally it would be great to keep them all together but sometimes it just does not work smile

3. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 6 years ago

Why dont you guys get a room - stroke your roosters gently smile

4. 60
    xenobusposted 6 years ago

Thank you for your input.  I have been reading a lot about Ukadex and Stockholm Tar as anti-pecking aids.  Does anyone have experience of using either of these products and would using an anti-peck spray stop my cockerel pecking my hen's head?

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

Cockerels are notorious for being aggressive, which is why one in a group of hens is enough otherwise they'll fight.  It's a natural territorial instinct. 

Why your cockerel has taken to bullying one particular hen can only be speculated about.  As someone else suggested, maybe he wants to show the bigger hen how tough he is.  Seperation seems the obvious solution.  Or maybe you could swap your hen for another, smaller breed (or put her in the pot.)