jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

1. raisingme profile image89
    raisingmeposted 6 years ago

Just had to share - I was just out in my backyard and a hummingbird flew past me so close that I flinched!  I remember when I was about ten our family was vacationing at a secluded lake at the end of a long, bumpy, horribly narrow, logging road in northern British Columbia - I saw a hummingbird's nest.  I felt like the luckiest person in the whole wide world!

2. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

Sweet...the complexity of nature is a wonder indeed.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

beautiful moment! I know the feeling, you just want to share with someone this delightful moment. thanks for sharing with us. smile

4. raisingme profile image89
    raisingmeposted 6 years ago

What is really beautiful is having this wonderful, new on-line Hub family to share touch stone moments with!

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My wife had one hovering beside her as she tended to our herb garden the other day.  She said she could have easily touched him (I'm assuming it was male because it is so early in the season for us - we haven't seen too many yet).

5. Yard of nature profile image80
    Yard of natureposted 6 years ago

I frequently dine on the back deck near our hummingbird feeder. The male and female ruby-throated hummingbirds often visit the feeder early in the morning and in the evening. Thus, they're often flitting and hovering about as I work at my "feeder."
    They're very comfortable as long as I sit quietly. They frequently alight on a metal plant hanger near the feeder. Often I can watch them fly to a nearby maple tree where they sit. Last evening I was lucky enough to see one stick out its long, tongue.

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I like hummingbirds, but they aren't real common where I live.  On the other hand I was sitting on our front step a few minutes ago and suddenly had a road runner flash across the yard about 3' in front of me, followed by a bunch of her chicks.  They are feeding all around our yard the last week or so.

Apparently mama road runner came around the corner of the garage and saw me and took off like a rocket and the chicks simply followed her.