jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Poor experiences with pooches purchased from pet shops

1. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I can't think why anyone would want to buy a dog from one of these places.  I certainly did and nor would I because I know they're terrible places.  Then I suddenly realised I could be accused of complete hypocrisy because I eat meat and eggs and I am aware of the awful conditions some animals are kept in and I don't always consider where it comes from.  Food for thought certainly.

2. outdoorsguy profile image61
    outdoorsguyposted 6 years ago

Ive worked in a pet store as a teen.  and I would buy one from a pet store.  but my reasons are because I want to give them a good home so they dont spend the rest of their lives locked in little cages being abused. or dumped at pounds to be euthanized when no one buys them

so Till the puppy mills are shut down.  id rather see some one buy one and know that they are being loved and taken care of then to see them sit day after day in their cages wanting to be held and played with. 

honest question here.. if you dont buy them.. what happens to them.  the mills will just kill or dump the ones that dont sell. 

okay yes IM a sucker for animals.

3. grejotte profile image82
    grejotteposted 6 years ago

I know what you mean outdoorsguy!

That's a dillema I have too. They say not to buy from pet stores, but what happens to them then?

I went to a pet store the other to buy rat stuff, and the owner there told me he doesn't sell dogs anymore because of the mills. He just stopped. He only sells birds and fishes.

I guess that would be the best solution...

4. wychic profile image79
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I do feel bad for the puppies already in the stores, as outdoorsguy has pointed out, yet creating a market for them doesn't seem like any sort of answer to me. By buying them from a pet store, you're generating profit for the puppy mill. Now, if people weren't buying puppy mill puppies, then likely the unsold puppies would be dumped, but it would be at a loss to the mill and it would eventually go out of business if there was no demand. Lately I have seen some legislative movement in this area where some cities and towns have banned the sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores, forcing puppy and kitten mills to shut down as well as causing prospective pet owners to go to either a shelter or responsible breeder for their pets. In the areas that this has happened there has been a massive increase in adoption and drop in euthanasia.

I live in a small town and none of the pet stores carry puppies or kittens without any law, because the people here do not want them. Anyone who has tried to sell them have been informed my many, many customers that not only will they not be purchased, but the customers will go elsewhere as long as puppies and kittens are being sold there. This seems to have worked really well for this town, it sure would be nice to see it catch on in others smile.