jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Teacup yorkie puppies for ADOPTION..

1. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

There's no such thing as a teacup yorkie...  Yorkies come in a variety of sizes that range from a few pounds to 10. Same thing goes with Teacup Chihuahua. Most breeders use this as a means to get more money but charging more for smaller pups of the breeed, whereas in reality the smaller pup falls within the standard for a regular Yorkie.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Are you talking to yourself? wink

j/k, I know what was here before big_smile

3. Whitney05 profile image67

Haha Misha, I knew I was crazy, but I didn't think I had resulted into talking to myself on the forums too! Ay..

Ha... But in all reality no. There was an ad to buy teacup yorkies... not adopt. Anyway it was spam.

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Whitney, this explains something that was puzzling me.

Last year, I met my new neighbour, who had moved in just around the corner.  She introduced her "teacup chihuahua" puppy.  I'd never seen one before and was stunned by how tiny it was. I'd have been afraid to have it in the house, in case I stepped on it!

I hadn't seen the dog for months, until I bumped into my neighbour carrying the dog just last week.   Lo and behold, the dog has grown, and looks like any other chihuahau I've ever seen.  I thought it was odd - now I know why!

5. Whitney05 profile image67

Yep. Most teacup dogs really aren't teacup. Many breeders just get smaller individual dogs in a breed and claim they must be teacup so they breed them and claim to have teacup puppies.

The standard for Chihuahua is 1.5 to 10 pounds. So that 2 pound teacup Chihuahua, is just a regular Chihuahua because it falls within that standard weight. Of course, though, that doesn't mean that a 1 pound Chihuahua is a teacup, it's just small.

Yorkies are a standard at 2 o 13 pounds, so the same sentiment applies.

It's mainly a way for people to make money by claiming they have extra small versions of dogs that are already small. In reality, it's all within the AKC standards for the breed.

6. CReativeThinker profile image60
    CReativeThinkerposted 7 years ago

I have two Yorkies and they weigh 11 and 11.5lbs.  Actually, I prefer them this size; not too small and not too big.  When I brought them home they were only a few ounces-not even a pound.  They were cute and adorable them but now they are rugged and adorable. 

They look like puppies but act like dogs
    They arent too big to rough house with or hold.
    Controlability is manageable
    dog food last longer;they eat less than big dogs

sometimes bigger dogs will take advantage of their size; this is most noticeable at the doggie parks.

7. staryorkie profile image60
    staryorkieposted 6 years ago

Listen guys, the term Teacup is just an adjective used to describe the smaller sized dogs of the breed.
    If you said Yorkies usually weigh between 2-11 lbs then a Teacup Yorkie is a Yorkie weighs 2-5 lbs.
    If you want to see some good looking cute faces you can check out our website:

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

they're adorable... but out of my budget. I looking now to adopt a doggie.. smile