my new pet rat is skiddish

1. Elissia Kolesar profile image59
    Elissia Kolesarposted 6 years ago

Ive been a rat owner for 5 years and none of my rats were skiddish so i really don't know how to show this one that I jus want to show her some love and feed her treats.Ive had her for about a month now and the only way i can get close to her is if she wants to hide in my shirt on the way to take her to Mc.D for some fries!!! Plus she jus had babies!!!(A Sweet surprise). she lets me check on them and clean the cage but only for a short time b4 she gets antsy.
    Any suggestions on how to get her to love me like i love her?

1. wychic profile image79
      wychicposted 6 years ago in reply to this

First, I'd suggest waiting until the babies are weaned before continuing to try to work with her so that she doesn't get stressed and try to hurt the babies. In my experience, though, once the babies are out of the nest it should be fine to pet them and work with them without her getting unduly stressed. After that, just work with her slowly and be careful not to push her beyond her comfort zone, even if all she wants at first is to sniff at your hand or take treats from the safety of her own cage. As she gets more comfortable with you she will get more adventurous, but let her choose the extent of the interaction she has with you and leave her alone when she starts getting uneasy.

1. Elissia Kolesar profile image59
        Elissia Kolesarposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you!! Just a little update she has warmed up alot. The babies are beautiful/handsome!!!