jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Mockingbird Attacks Employees

1. Whitney05 profile image64
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

There's a mocking bird outside my window at work, and she keeps attacking employees as they walk by the door. It's funny. She has a nest somewhere around the bushes to the right of the door, and when people walk by she swoops on them.

She got me first Monday, but I didn't think anything of it until she got two more people today. She harassed one guy all the way into the building to the point he had to walk backwards toward the door so he could watch her.

The bird watched another lady through the window as she was watching the bird, trying to avoid getting flown at.

This momma bird is pissed off we're so close to her nest.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

We used to have them in a backyard tree. They can be scary.
    On the other hand, we had a hummingbird build a nest where we came close to it. She sat so still, we only noticed her by accident.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had a road runner nest somewhere under a large bush next to our front door.  They would scatter all over the yard feeding, and when I came out and mama road runner called suddenly chicks running so fast from all over the yard!  So much fun to see I wrote a hub on the whole spring/young animals thing.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We had a flock of quail chicks one year that would be scattered by curious and playful baby deer. They always managed to come back together.

I was surprised yesterday morning to find a hawk perched on my fence, watching ducks and ducklings in the stream.  Was sure interested in them but never made a move that way, though, and finally flew off to home somewhere.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
            Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wildness is sure amazing, isn't it wilderness. This afternoon a couple of turkey vultures are hanging out in a tall pine near our house. Hope they don't know something that we don't.

lol  You'd BETTER hope!  Yes, it is amazing and fun!

3. Whitney05 profile image64
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

She just got me!

I was on the phone and was past the nest. She came out of no where and flew into my back shoulder. I thought someone threw something at me and hit me, but when I  turned around, I saw the bird.

1. torimari profile image81
      torimariposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Haha, precious. I love birds.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

Many different species of birds are willing to attack a human being if they think their young are being threatened.   In Australia the Magpie is particularly notorious for this.  Often children going to school will wear hats with big eyes painted on them.  The bird thinks it is being watched and won't attack.  It prefers to come up on the unwary and make a 'surprise attack.'   I've been clobbered; a whack on the side of the head by an angry magpie can really smart - even draw blood.

But some birds will attack even when they aren't nesting.  For example, when I was down on the subAntarctic Island of MacQuarie in 1976-77 I was regularly having to flay my arms in the air to keep off marauding Sku Gulls (a very fierce bird indeed)  A friend told me to get rid of my red beanie.  The birds thought I was wounded (bleeding) hence they attacked.  I changed it for a black-and-white beanie and the bird-trouble ended straight away.

working