horses with pigtails , unbelievable

1. 0
    Medkh9posted 6 years ago

i have been to an exhibition here in Canada and i have take some photos of horses tail which i have included in one of my hubs . i wanted to ask you how do they do to decorate horses tails and make pigtails on them ?

1. Devanni profile image60
      Devanniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I looked at the hub you refer to, and I enjoyed the photos.  I've never seen the two braids done before except in the context of someone playing around for fun - I'm surprised this was done for a show.  Very cute!
      Braids like the ones in most of your photos are more or less standard for shows, and are usually accompanied by a braided mane. 
      As for how it is done, it is really much easier to demonstrate than to explain in words, but I can say that it is always done very carefully so as not to hurt the tailbone.  It takes some skill and a lot of practice to get a nice braid.

2. Loretta Kemsley profile image77
    Loretta Kemsleyposted 6 years ago

The braiding on the lower tail is to protect the tail from dragging on the ground. If you look at the photo with the double braids, even with the braids, the tail almost touches the ground. If the tail was unbraided, when the horse stepped backwards, he would step on his tail and pull part of it out. The strands would also break as they rubbed on the ground.

Sometimes they will also use a sack, rather like a hair net, ove the tail for the same reason.

The lower braids would be unbraided and the tail brushed out before the horse went into the show ring.