jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

need help

1. 59
    Demonsvanessaposted 6 years ago

my dog just got treated for hookworms and i am scared can they crawl out her butt and wiggle around my house

2. raisingme profile image89
    raisingmeposted 6 years ago

Nope, they live on the inside.  It is rare that humans catch worms from their pets.  When it does happen it is more likely that children will get them due to undeveloped immune systems and unformed hygiene habits.  Washing hands is the way to prevent any possible transfer but like I said, it is a rare occurrence for a pet owner to end up with worms.

1. 59
      Demonsvanessaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

as u sure i am scared as hell i have a 7 year old and the dog is house trained we just got her from a breeder 2 weeks ago and i just found this out today

1. IsadoraPandora profile image86
        IsadoraPandoraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you can get worms from your dog. Kids stick their fingers and other things in their mouths often. Although, at 7 I would say the possibility is slim.

Just make sure to clean up often after the dog.

If you are seriously worried, put the dog in a closed off area until treatment is finished. Even a house dog can live in a pen as long as it is protected from extreme elements.

If you do get worms from your pet, believe it or not--it isn't so bad. Just talk to your doctor and purchase human-grade wormer for your family-it'll take care of the problem.

Hope this helps,