Ring worm in dogs/cats

1. parkercoleman profile image61
    parkercolemanposted 6 years ago

My brother- and sister-in-law are struggling with an infestation of ringworm in their animals, yard, and home. I've never heard of such a thing. In my family, we never treated an animal and just slapped some Tinactin on it for a few weeks. Can it really be so invasive as to have to rework your yard and home? They are dipping each of their pets twice a week in some gross stuff, having to replace their carpet, and clear their yard to let in sun and circulate air. It's time-consuming, hard work, and very expensive.

Does anyone know of any quick fixes? Is there some form of uber-fungus out there? What's going on here?

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image87
    Tirzah Laughsposted 6 years ago

There is no quick fix.  My dog got a fungal/ringworm infection from a foster cat.  It's taken months of four baths a week in anti-fungal shampoo.  I will say that did work though. 

The problem is that its extremely contagious to people and other animals.   If there yard is extremely damp it could be contributing to the fungal problem.

If you can get the shampoo, it works well but its four baths a week for about three months.  I kept a t-shirt on my dog after they dried so they could lay on the furniture without contaminating the other dogs.

But I caught my dog's problem early.

It sounds as though they have a fungus beyong the ringworm.  That I can't help you with.  Once that stuff gets in the carpet, you just have to rip it out.