jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What's that shed doing on my carpet??

1. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

At this time of year (summer, northern hemisphere) many dogs and cats shed lots of fur.  It gets all over the place.  I have a German Shepherd here.
    I'm sweeping up every day.  I even sweep the carpets first with a good stiff broom before vacuuming (it saves having to replace the vacuum cleaner bags every week).

I'm sure many of you are dealing with the same thing. neutral

1. jeri741 profile image61
      jeri741posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a great pyrenees ...lots of hair

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Timorous,

I have two cats that shed up a storm year round. lol I have had to resort to brushing them down at least twice a day, to minimize the shedding. lol

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Hey Cags,
    Yeah, the things we put up with when it comes to our animal friends.  Besides, they don't talk back, they're non-judgemental, and they like to show their affection too.

Anyway, I just needed a good excuse to use a catchy, but curious title. smile

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Catchy? roll

Okay, if you say so. lol lol lol

4. caninecrtitics profile image67
    caninecrtiticsposted 6 years ago

I have two labs and it looks like i have puppies all over the place with the amount of fur they shed and I even brush them.

5. Beth100 profile image85
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Let's see...I have a tervuren (Belgian shepherd) who sheds like crazy.  His fur is quite long around his mane and tail (longer than mine!).  Brushing didn't seem to help so I thought I'd give him a nice shave this summer.  hmm

Don't worry, I didn't!!   tongue

Instead, I invested in a special brush called the Furminator -- works like magic!!  The first time I brushed him with it, there was enough fur to fill one grocery bag!  The second time, 3/4 bag, third time 1/2 and now it's very minimal.  Best thing:  there's no dead fur flying around the house or sticking to the furniture.

It's really works!!  (of course, vacumming him helps too!)  lol

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have been giving  my dog a bath and brushing her down every alternate day to get rid of the fur in the house. She has fine  hair and it  is all over the place flying when the fan is on... I spray the house with water lightly and then sweep the hair up.. with kids around its so bad... more ideas any one.. I need help!!

2. timorous profile image91
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Beth...maybe you can get a weaving loom and use the fur to make a nice tea cozy. big_smile

1. Beth100 profile image85
        Beth100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol  I made a wig!!!  lol

6. TamCor profile image79
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

Our dog used to shed so badly that I thought I was going to go crazy, lol...

Tumbleweeds of fur sliding across the floor when we walked... yikes

I wrote a hub about controlling shedding awhile back, and some of the things in it were things I had used on our dog when she was alive.

Like Beth100, we used a Furminator--which we now believe is man's best friend, more so than the dog, hahaha...big_smile  The amount of undercoat hair this thing gets out is amazing--and the birds around our house loved it when I brushed Beffy--they used her fur to line their nests, lol...

7. Beth100 profile image85
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Watch out, eh, TamCor!!  Here comes the Furminators!!!  lol

1. TamCor profile image79
      TamCorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

working