jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

chinese dwarf hamsters mom dad and 6 babies

1. 61
    Mrs.Jaroszposted 8 years ago

can any one help with answering ?s how soon can they have babies after a litter. my babies are 2 weeks old....

2. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

They can get inpregnanted again within a few days (I believe) of having a litter, which is why you should separate the male and female the day she had her pups. Otherwise, look forward to another litter. Mom may kill one of the litters as she will not be able to feed them both.

1. thranax profile image60
      thranaxposted 8 years ago in reply to this

^ I think thats the best answer imo.

3. 60
    hamsterqueenposted 8 years ago

Yes they can become preg within a few days of having a litter.  However they can also put off having that litter until the others are several wks old that way they dont have another one while nursing the first one.  These guys do best in a family group not being seperated unless you dont want anymore babies.  Also they will not breed more than the area they live in will allow.

1. Whitney05 profile image68
      Whitney05posted 8 years ago in reply to this

You can easily separate males and females and still have groups. Separating doesn't mean one per cage, as yes dwarf hamsters are better in pairs.

Also, I don't think you are 100% correct about they only breed until they don't have room.