jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

dogs & cancer

1. way profile image60
    wayposted 6 years ago

My little dog died from cancer on his nose. I noticed a lump on the side of his nose about 3 weeks prior to his death. It grew so fast & pushed right through his gums & out the side of his face & started oozing fluids. He was always hungry & ate alot but he lost weight every day till he was just skin & bones & he  never acted like it hurt him.
    I just want to know why so many animals are getting cancer?  I hope someone can answer my question.

2. nasus loops profile image80
    nasus loopsposted 6 years ago

I don't know the reason why they are getting cancer, but maybe it is the same reasons as why more and more of us are being diagnosed with this horrible disease everyday.

3. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. My Pit Bull was diagnosed with two tumors in her front leg at 18 months old. They said it's rare for them to get  two tumors in the same leg, and with her age being so young, she's likely not to make it. It's nearly been a year and a half, and still cancer free.

It's hard to hear that your pet has cancer, but 1 in every 4 dogs get it.

I believe it has to do with chemicals in the water and additives in dog food.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I read that also about the water and additives in the food.

my 14 year old dog died a couple years ago from cancer.. sad
      but she lived a long, full life.

the dog we have now eats food with no additives. it costs a bit more, but to me it's worth it. he loves it.

Way, sorry to hear about your little dog.

4. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

rebekah, we have since changed her diet to a high protein, no carb and no additive diet. I agree quite pricey, but worth it.

Most dog foods (dry and can) are manufactured by human grade companies, so their quality is poor. It's quite important to do the research on foods before putting a dog on anything you find.

1. 60
      dred2222posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wonder how much money you'd contribute from not purchasing fancy dog food-and donating it instead to support animals who have no homes, or food of any kind.

1. Whitney05 profile image67
        Whitney05posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I volunteered for years getting animals homes. I hate to say it, but that is a never-ending process that animal shelters do not and will not ever correct.

The lady I volunteered for opened a shelter and watched the statistics on dogs in shelters and those euthanized during the time she was open. There was no change. By adding another animal shelter in the area, the number of homeless dogs or the number who were turned into shelters, picked up as strays, or euthanized was not changed.

In a way, animal shelters cause a problem because they do not educate.

Education is the key for correcting the issue.

Let's not try to belittle because of the decisions that I've made in regards to the care of my dogs.

Evidence shows that cancer IS caused by food additives and junk in the diet. Overbreeding has more problems than cancer; I wouldn't be worried about overbreeding and cancer more so of overbreeding and behavior.

5. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 6 years ago

Dogs get cancer just as humans do. It's not really getting worse... you just notice it more when it happens to your own animal. It's sad and it hurts because we develop feelings for our animals as though their our children! I know when one of my dogs die it's like a child has died. It hurts deeply. Some people don't understand this...but it's the truth!

something I think that can participate in cancer is dog food. The preservatives used aren't good. Human food also uses preservatives...it's not good for any animal!!!

I'm sorry you lost your dog.

6. 59
    sunny5555posted 6 years ago

I know some one that had a dog the cancer showed up in the front leg, took the dog to the vet and they said it first started in the lungs and continued to spread through the body. The sad part is early stages, animals will not always let the owner know they are in pain.

7. 60
    dred2222posted 5 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Remember, most dogs (and cats) all over the world don't even get to the cancer stage-they die from mistreatment, poor nutrition (it's so funny to read about complaints about conventional dog food-how many dogs all over the world don't get ANY food at all!!!! Try visiting Mexico if you don't believe me..) 
    Cancer is not caused by dog food. Or "chemicals in the water. " Cancer is caused by overbreeding (pet store or purebred pets), animals living longer lives...and better veterinary care and detection techniques.
    Your dog had a happy, loved existence. He was cared for, he had a home. He scored more than most domesticated animals will ever get!!!! He died happy and loved, but I know that it is horrible to lose your beloved friend.
    Everyone else, try to keep it in perspective-our dogs and pets are SO blessed. Instead of focusing your energy on better pet food, fancier clothes for them, and other non necessities, consider donating time or money to one of the many animal charities that serve these poor unloved animals around the world.

1. 60
      dred2222posted 5 years ago in reply to this

And PS Mexico has many beloved animals...it's just that the government has little system in place, like so many other countries, to handle unwanted pets etc.