jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

I feel bad for the dog....

1. ChristinaScibona profile image87
    ChristinaScibonaposted 6 years ago

Across the street from where I live, the couple has a dog.  They are barely ever home and the dog is tied to the pourch all day long.  It doesn't matter if it is raining or cold..he is still there.  Sometimes he will cry and howl for hours and hours.  He has gotten off his chain a couple of times and come over to our yard and I have noticed that he is really skinny.  I know that the people feed him because I have seen them put food and water in his dishes outside.  I just don't know how much food or how often he is getting fed.  They do bring him inside when they get home at about ten o'clock.  I do not think that he is  being abused but maybe neglected...what should I do?  Call someone to have them look into it or just mind my own business?

1. fayehelen profile image72
      fayehelenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Call somebody. If you were worried about them knowing you 'told on them' just do it anonymously.
      Better safe than sorry.

2. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Animal control, Local animal shelter, ASPCA. The Sheriff's department. Any complaints made are usually anonymous through internal policy of the orgs involved. Rule of thumb: If you wouldn't like it happening to you, it is cruel to the animal.

2. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

Could you try talking to the neighbours first? It's a tough situation...I don't know what I would do for sure, but if I was the dog's owner, I would appreciate being asked the details of my situation before having authorities show up at my door.

If thats even a realistic possiblity..I dont know?

3. ChristinaScibona profile image87

The problem is that there is only us, them and an older couple a ways down the road...I think that they would know it was us.  I could talk to them first but they are never home...maybe I could leave a note?

1. Karanda profile image85
      Karandaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Start with a note, you know it is possible these people are completely unaware of their dog's distress while they are not around. But if it is skinny then sounds like there are other problems. Try and communicate your concerns first but if you feel you are getting nowhere the only recourse is to call in the professionals.

2. Gypsysilk profile image59
      Gypsysilkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would leave them a note ,even suggest looking after the dog during the day for them if they are willing ,if this is to no avail then i would call in the RSPCA ,poor thing i would not be able to allow this to carry on ,i would of took their dog in by now but thats just me

4. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I'd report it. Sounds like neglect to me. Maybe you could tackle it by being helpful - tell them you have an old blanket you'd like to give the pooch. You could also go over and give it some attention while they're not home, maybe along with some food and a chew toy. Maybe they'll get the hint that others have noticed their neglect.

5. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

That is up to you. Do you feel up to what may become a confrontation? Are you ready for the fact that they may feel they have a legitimate reason. Perhaps it's ignorance on their part?

If he's skinny, despite being fed the likely answer is he's not being fed enough. That or tha act of trying to stay warm (yes - dogs do feel the cold) will be affecting his physical appearance. Or he's being fed enough and he's so stressed he can't maintain a healthy weight.

What do you think you should do? The dog's plight appears to weigh on your conscience. How long can you continue to watch, concerned, but feeling helpless?

Not helpful I know, just pointing out the realities.

1. Aiden Roberts profile image88
      Aiden Robertsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely tell someone, you can do it annonomously.

6. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

sounds like neglect to me. that's sad. not only is it not getting enough food, but no exercise or attention. they shouldn't have a pet if they're not going to give it a proper home. it may be skinny from a disease also.
    do what you feel you need to do. someone may be able to give the dog a caring home if they can't.

7. ChristinaScibona profile image87

Thanks for all of the advice...I have to do something because I will feel awful is something happens to him and I didn't say anything.  They seem to be a young couple so hopefully I don't bring hell down upon us....even if I do at least I did something I guess...thanks again.

1. fayehelen profile image72
      fayehelenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good luck smile

2. mythbuster profile image86
      mythbusterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do you have time or space to help your neighbor with the dog? Perhaps you could make a deal with them to offer dog-walking a couple of times per day when the neighbors are away at work.

Sometimes people really do just need a hand with their pets but are afraid to ask - thinking people will report them for neglect, etc., if they are honest about knowing they lack the time for the pet... They usually aren't intentionally bad owners but are often "intending" to get a handle on the situation - after being tired from work, etc., and intentions never turn out right. It might be helpful and ease tension if you're able to approach the neighbors in a way that says, "I'm here to help, not judge."

I know this sort of suggestion has worked before and both parties have been relieved to know the dog was getting more attention... if the dog ever got loose from the owner's yard, in the situation I know about, it could always be quickly found at the "adoption" home... that's how the two parties viewed the compromised situation... "owner home" and "adoption" home. One of the neighbors acted like they "adopted" the dog several days per week...and the dog got to know 2 homes - the owners paid for food and a little money over the amount of food for "pet sitting service" but since the "adopting" party had fun with the dog during the day, the pet sitting fee was extremely minimal...

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Honestly I would say just report it.  Animal control people look into these things all the time and it keeps the issue from being some kind of personal dispute.

9. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

It's clear they don't have time to properly care for any animal. Tying a dog up for most of the day is abuse, I don't care what anyone says.

Contact animal control, give them the address and say you think a dog is being neglected there. If that solves the problem, fine.

If nothing has changed in two weeks, have a talk with them. BUT, be aware if they get any trouble with animal control or anything, they will blame you. smile