jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)

Hyenas as pets?

1. svogt12002 profile image61
    svogt12002posted 5 years ago

Just checking to make sure that no one other than myself thinks it would be ludicrous to own a hyena. At least before you get eaten, your lion or tiger is beautiful to look at. Question is then, are there any private hyena owners out there?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Wow... I hope you are kidding.
    A regular domestic dog will idolize and adore you. You want a pet that will laugh at you?

Seriously--hyenas are noisy,nasty,sneaky scavengers.  They have their place in nature's grand scheme, but I doubt that they would make a good house pet.

Get a cat.

1. svogt12002 profile image61
      svogt12002posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that was my point, I have noted lately that people keep huge lizards, poisoness snakes, and huge cats that could eat them, wondered if there was anyone who would actually want a hidious hyena for a pet.. LOL

1. CrisKat profile image80
        CrisKatposted 5 years ago in reply to this

have you seen a hyena in the wild? they are not ugly.

People have been keeping wild animals as pets for thousands of years. This is how we have dogs and house cats now. There is nothing new in that.

3. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Trying to keep any kind of wild animal as a pet is wrong.  Hyenas are pack animals and need to be part of a social grouping to thrive; it would be very cruel to keep a lone hyena in a small, enclosed space.

In the UK it would also be illegal.  Buy a pet dog instead, as they have been bred to live with humans

4. Several Ninjas profile image73
    Several Ninjasposted 5 years ago

do a google image search for 'pet hyena' and you'll see plenty of them. apparently quite popular in nigeria.

5. Ign Andy profile image60
    Ign Andyposted 5 years ago

Hyena has stronger jaws then lion or tiger they chew everything including the bone and scavengers. Nothing pretty about them to be your pet.

1. Castlepaloma profile image26
      Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know of 3 wolves as pets here in Canada, The thing about any wild dog is they may turn on you at anytime, to challenge you for the leader of the pack.

1. CrisKat profile image80
        CrisKatposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yes, but a hyena is not a dog. They are not in the canid family.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Keeping a large non-domesticated animal as a pet is rarely a good idea.  People who have them are typcially keeping them as exhibits or performing/working animals. not companion animals.

7. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 5 years ago

Actually I've seen quite a few of these kept as pets. They are just as dangerous as a lion, tiger, or wolf. These pets should be left in the wild, not somebody's play toy!

8. CrisKat profile image80
    CrisKatposted 5 years ago

Hyenas have the most powerful jaws in Africa. They can easily break your skull without even blinking.

Wild animals belong to the wild. Leave them there.

9. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

I have five sons that act like hyenas, especially when it comes to food.  I don't think I could handle one as a pet.

10. donnajo1969 profile image60
    donnajo1969posted 5 years ago

My crazy boyfriend wants a hyena for a pet. The spotted hyena. I think it's insane.  Now, a TIGER, on the other hand....  muahahahah

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you guys are determined to go with an exotic pet, how 'bout a gentle gnu?  Might be a little on the large side but much, much safer.

11. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

I know for a fact that there are thousands of hyena's in our country, look in D. C., it's full of them. They prey heavily in areas of "public service".

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

12. guy1973 profile image60
    guy1973posted 5 years ago

so funny smile we have them everywhere, they even occupies top positions in our country