jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

14 yr old dog - poo problem

1. DianaPelley profile image60
    DianaPelleyposted 5 years ago

My 14 yr old Sheltie is starting to have "accidents" in the house.

From time to time if she can't get outside (because we were sleeping and she won't bark to go out) she has done business and then tried to clean it up, then puked by the door.  This has only happened 1-2 times a year.

But lately she is having very soft stools outside and then tries to clean her butt on the carpets inside.  I have started to wash her butt when she is brought back inside to prevent her making skid marks on the rugs.

This past month she has had off days where she didn't eat her food at all during the day.  But then poo'd on the floor during the night. 

Last night she poo'd 4 times and pee'd on the rug.  All of the poo was runny.  This is very unusual for her.

Is this normal in aging dogs?

2. Tammy L profile image82
    Tammy Lposted 5 years ago

I don't know how normal this problem is for all aging dogs.  I can only tell you what I personally have experienced with any aging dogs I have encountered.  They do tend to lose control of their bodily functions as they get older but I have never seen a dog clean up their own mess.  Have you talked to your vet?

3. Maria Cecilia profile image81
    Maria Ceciliaposted 5 years ago

I think you need to give her food that won't make her stool soft. I guess there are dog food for senior dogs.  But then try to ask your vet, just to rule out that all those are caused only by the age and no other ailments

4. matherese profile image61
    mathereseposted 5 years ago

Poor dog i think is old age, Like Maria Cecilia said you should give her food that would not make her poo soft

5. caninecrtitics profile image64
    caninecrtiticsposted 5 years ago

Their are natural remedies that I usefor my dog for bladder control loss.  I think it's call Leaks No More but their is probably something out their for the poop.

6. LiorST profile image59
    LiorSTposted 5 years ago

I would consult the vet right now, if this has happened suddenly then it could be a result of something much bigger like a tumor of some kind in the area, try to get a proper ultra sound test.

7. 61
    DogTrainerUKposted 5 years ago

... and your first thought was  "Ask a bunch of people who might not have the first clue about dogs"  rather than  "Take her to the vet"?

Take her to the vet.