jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Dog Trainer

1. caninecrtitics profile image64
    caninecrtiticsposted 5 years ago

I want to know what people prefer: either training at a big store chain like petco or do you prefer to go independent dog trainers?

1. Hailsale profile image60
      Hailsaleposted 5 years ago

Its where the quality is. K9 are a dog training organization with a great reputation for doing an awsome job!

2. 0
      Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago

I trained my dog myself. Less cost, less fuss, happy, (mostly) obedient dog smile

3. caninecrtitics profile image64
      caninecrtiticsposted 5 years ago

I trained my doog by myself to.  I taught him verbal and han commands.

4. Mikeydoes profile image81
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago

Like teaching my dogs myself. You can really get them to do anything, it just takes consistency and practice.

1. 0
        Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And a bottomless box of doggy chocs lol

5. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 5 years ago

I have always trained my own dogs and been very good at it! All the dogs I've owned could do any trick, stay on command, sit, fetch, give their paw, retrieve, and so many other things! It's all in knowing a few basic steps and anyone can do it! Of course, you have to have patience and love for the animal!!!

It's quite easy actually!

6. Hoodala profile image60
      Hoodalaposted 5 years ago

Look for videos by Michael Ellis watch and then train your own dog.  Marker training is the best form of training yet.

7. gracenotes profile image93
      gracenotesposted 5 years ago

For the very basic things of training, I have gone to PetsMart.  I like their methods (clicker and treat), and I managed to get private classes with the woman in charge of area training.

Some of the most vexing behavioral problems I have solved myself.  It takes a lot of experimentation and intuition, and nothing any trainer has ever told me worked.  I had to figure it out for myself, and I used a combination of methods gleaned from my research.

I've got a big challenge right now with my miniature schnauzer.  I often ask myself "Why do I have a terrier?"