time to put dog to sleep?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image52
    lovemydoggyposted 13 years ago

I am heartbroken to even be considering this, however my springer spaniel/border collie who is 14 years old is having a lot of issues. He is basically deaf, can't hardly see, sleeps most of the day, he has also become more snappy ( he NEVER would have snapped at anyone) but now if 2 year old accidentally bumps into him he growls at her and if i try to hold his collar to get him to get up to go outside he actually snaps at me  and is now urinating and having bowel movements in the house on a daily basis. I have had him since he was about 5 years old and he has been a wonderful dog!!!! he use to be obviously embarrassed when he first starting having accidents in the house which started about 2 years ago but now it doesnt even phase him its like he has lost all control and care about it. He will just start pooping on my living room floor sometimes even while laying down. It is heartbreaking and also frustrating. However once in a while he gets feisty and try to play catch even though he cant find the ball anymore and he doesnt appear to be in pain .....I am at a loss I have a new baby due in a few months and I just feel like maybe its time then I question if its really not yet since he's not in pain... PLEASE HELP ME...

1. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry...I was forced to do that with my dog almost ten years ago. I still think of him sometimes and honestly never agreed to have another dog because of that. It was a trauma. I do not know what to tell you...maybe it is time to let him go considering the situation :-(

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I think a trip to your vets is the best advice. Discuss what his issues are, whether any can be addressed with medication and management, and take it from there.

I know it's heartbreaking but one of the kindest things we can do for our pets is know when it's time to let them go.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma - I wish you the best.

3. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry! It's sad, but you have to do what is best for the dog and the family. The animal is apparently in a lot of pain and cannot control his body functions...so it's time! I know how it feels...my heart goes out to you and your family! At least he wont suffer anymore and will be at peace!

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Have you been to the vets?

Sometimes a simple problem with a simple solution can be behind a seemingly significant problem.

For example, my aunties dog stopped eating, lost loads of weight very quickly and became extremely moody. They thought it was serious.

A trip to the vets revealed problems with its teeth. Two teeth removed, a few weeks of painkillers, and the dog was happy again. Please seek the advice of your vet before making the decision, your dog may not be as unwell as it appears.

5. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

to see your dog like that is really heartbreaking and thinking of bringing him to vet to put him to sleep is breaking my heart because I have a 10 year old dog that I love so much, he was with me since his puppy days, and I know soon these things that you are witnessing can happen to me and everyone,

I would very much wish to recommend suggestion of the one posted before me, why not try to bring him to vet to see other issues? or how is his appetite? if he still loves to eat then maybe, it's not yet time for him to be put to sleep?

I can understand your situation, i know he is giving you a hard time and you also have a family so I don't know if it's right to tell your to still take care of him but I will pray to God you more strength and wisdom. I am truly saying this from the heart for I can really feel for you...

6. profile image52
    lovemydoggyposted 13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Yes, I have taken him to the vet and I have been told its all due to becoming senile and old basically and that its not going to get any better. Last night he pooped himself while sleeping and woke up with it stuck all over his side.....breaks my heart but I think I know what we have to due sad

7. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well you've taken the best advice and now you just have to do the last (though heartbreaking) decision on his behalf.

I don't envy your position, having been there several times before - but I know I'd do what I had to. Be kind to yourself and your dog - you both deserve it. Best wishes.

8. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

Yes Goodluck to you, I am not your what will I do if I am in your position, but I will pray for you still, I am feeling sad because I am thinking of my 10 year old dog..

9. babiblu82 profile image60
    babiblu82posted 13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this about your dog.  I work as veterinary technician and see this way too much.  I hope that you make the right decision even though it may the toughest. My childhood dog went blind, could not control her bowels anymore, and I knew it was the best decision for her to put her down even though it was the hardest.  I had to look at it as if I were her, I would want to lose control of going to the bathroom, not being able see.  Goodluck with what you decide, I know how hard it is.

10. networkrecruiting profile image60
    networkrecruitingposted 13 years ago

This is a very hard decision to make regarding your dog. Put yourself in your dogs position, if you were going blind, lost  your bowel control and not in any pain, would you want to be put down.Then again, you got your dog so you could enjoy his company and now that is not possible, so what purpose does the dog serve. These are the questions that you need to ask yourself.
    Make the decision that is right for you and your family.

11. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

What a terrible position you're in.  I am also sorry that your dog is so ill.  I put 2 dogs down within 2 months-at the end of the year-and I still miss them and probably always will.
    I won't link here, but I wrote a hub about this when my border collie was dying.  It really helped to write about it.
    Dogs have dignity, I believe, and feel strange when eyesight is gone, etc.,etc.
    I don't envy you this situation at all.
    Stay strong and take good care.

12. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

It's a painful and difficult decision (I'm facing the same decision at the moment) and there are no right answers.  For me, I can only think about what is right for him -- is he living his life the way he should be?  My decision has been made -- he has bitten my youngest on the head without any provocation and nearly took his eye out (his canine was only 1/2" away from the eye with the second puncture almost next to the ear drum).  Even if he hadn't done this, it is his time.

1. profile image53
      Banjaboyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bit of a stale thread but rung true when I read it boy did it resonate. I'm going through the sad part being owned by the sweetest yellow lab in the world, Ruby. She was 14 on June 15th. She was 2 days old when I fell in love with her. My wife passed away 9 years ago, Ruby bad I grieved together, good times, bad times, she has been there for me. She has totally lost control of her bowels, she doesn't even know it's COMINT out, in her sleep, walking.......severe arthritis, cataracts, the usual. My head knows what to do but my heart is ruling me now. The biggest act of love I can ever give her in her whole life is to let her go, it's just eating my soul to do it. I am going to the vet in an hour with 2 of my grown kids who are having a terrible time, I have known this man for 30 years, I will do what he recommends. Please say a prayer for me so that I have the will and heart to do the right thing. I am just devastated.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Think of it this way… in the wild he would not be able to survive and would have died a natural death. He would have been too weak to hunt for food. He would have become weaker and weaker and his spirit would have drifted out of his body as his heart gave out, or he would have been prey for another animal. So, we need to assist what would have happened naturally, since they are no longer in the arms of nature.
        Maybe we need to consider natural influences when thinking about the human condition. I knew a woman who was suffering from dementia. Her daughter mentioned," Mom, if you don't eat you will die…" Mom looked at her with a lightbulb above her head. She refused to eat and died soon after.
        But death is irreversible.

1. profile image53
          Banjaboyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kathryn, you are very wise. But once we invited that first canine into our cave 10,000 years ago we distorted natures they live with us, they are part of our pack or perhaps us there's lol. We kinda took nature into our hands and it's up to us to make that final act of love. I just got back from my vet. We are working to control the wet poop,if we can get that in check we can handle her. I am hopeful.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
            Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

wow! that is great! Death is so irreversible! It is best to let the heart beat as long as possible!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)