jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What breeds are most likely to have eye problems?

1. Turkish2011 profile image60
    Turkish2011posted 5 years ago

I have an old neighbour who has had many dogs in the past and knows her fair share about them. The other day she told i should not give my dog any chocolate or many sweet stuff because it could lead to eye problems. I have heard that chiuauas have this problem not sure if its true but its got me worried now. Does anyone know if something like this is likely with my staffy.

1. Rachel Hall profile image60
      Rachel Hallposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I cannot comment on chocolate causing eye problems, but the theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs.  It can cause symptoms such as Hyper excitability, Hyper irritability,  Increased heart rate, Restlessness
      Increased urination, Muscle tremors, Vomiting and Diarrhea.

As a small amount of chocolate can be quite addictive to dogs, it is advisable to avoid feeding any as they will look for more.

2. ThePepperDen profile image80
      ThePepperDenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Reality is that every single dog breed out there is at risk of developing some sort of medical condition, just like humans are. If you want to avoid getting a dog prone to problems, do research on different dog breeds. You can do this online, at the library, or through phone calls to veterinarians.

The Staffy breed is apparently prone to two kinds of eye problems. The first is "Double Eyelash", where the dog's eyelashes become misdirected and cause irritation to the surface of the eyeball. The other is Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitreous (or PHPV) which is a condition where the blood supply to the ocular lens fails to regress and fibrovascular tissue forms, causing hazy vision. A reputable breeder should be able to breed out most cases of these conditions, so don't be too concerned.

Don't be overly worried about potential health issues in dogs, as there are many. I recommend you do your research so you know what to possibly expect, and choose a reputable breeder, but don't become too concerned. Many dogs don't experience even a fraction of the medical issues they were "supposed" to. ^_^

2. Turkish2011 profile image60
    Turkish2011posted 5 years ago

Oh i see, i did not know that. Better safe than sorry i guess, i will just have to keep it away.
    Thank you for info :-)