jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Sal the Cat summoned for jury service...

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

Sal the Cat summoned for jury service... and court rules he 'must attend'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 8:03 PM on 18th January 2011

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347894-0CCCC08D000005DC-847_468x286.jpg

A pet cat has been summoned for jury duty - and has been told by courts he 'must attend'

Despite owner Anna Esposito's protestations that a mistake has been made, a jury commissioner has ruled that Sal must attend the court.

She wrote that Sal was 'unable to speak and understand English' - and included a letter from her vet saying that the animal was a 'domestic short-haired neutered feline'.

Not guilty, your honour: Sal has been summoned for jury duty from March 23 - and his owner has been told he is not exempt from serving

Amazed: Sal's owners Anna and Guy Esposito are preparing to take their pet to court after a jury commissioner turned down their request to have the animal exempted from service

Bizarrely, the court ruled the animal must report to the courtroom. If the matter is not resolved he will have to report to Suffolk Superior Crown Court in Boston, U.S. on March 23.

Anna wrote her Sal's name under 'pets' on the last census - she crossed out 'dogs' and said he was a cat.

She said: 'When they ask him guilty or not guilty? What's he supposed to say - miaow?

'Sal is a member of the family so I listed him on the last Census form under pets but there has clearly been a mix-up.'
    Case closed? Sal's details were recorded when there was a Boston state census - and he appears to have been mistakenly identified as a human when the forms were processed

Case closed? Sal's details were recorded when there was a Boston state census - and he appears to have been mistakenly identified as a human when the forms were processed

Husband Guy added: 'I said, Sal, what's this? I was shocked. He likes to sit on my knee and watch crime shows with me but even so he's still under qualified for jury duty if you ask me.'

There are ten statutory disqualifications preventing people from serving on a jury - and Mrs Esposito said Sal was not suitable because he could not understand the language.

However, jurors are 'not expected' to have a perfect command of the English language.

The other exemptions did not apply because Sal was not ill, too old or a convicted felon.

It is thought he accidentally ended up on the juror list when paperwork was misread at the last census.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z1BmbR5jac
    this was a rare cat breed indeed...sitting on a jury and all.... wink

1. Mercredi profile image64
      Mercrediposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Most cats have a crazy look in their eye. I don't think Sal will be competent enough to be selected. Plus, being a cat, he has a busy schedule of sleeping 23 hours a day. Is the judge prepared to fit the trial around that? http://www.gettingoutofjuryduty.co.cc/

2. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 6 years ago

What a cute cat!!!

3. Friday Girl profile image60
    Friday Girlposted 6 years ago

Good old bureaucracy - good to see its alive and well!

4. workingmomwm profile image87
    workingmomwmposted 6 years ago

This is too funny! And a little scary, knowing that jurors aren't expected to know English very well. I hope I never have to go to trial for anything!

5. AliciaC profile image97
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

This is the funniest news that I’ve read in a long time! Thanks for sharing.

6. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

I don't think this funny at all... I believe that the Court officials are well aware of the fact that Sal is a Cat!

I base my opinion on the fact that he has been summoned for duty on 23rd March!

THAT just happens to be the SAME DAY that my Nephew - Harvey Mouse is on trial or stealing crumbs from Suffolk Bakeries!

Just Too Much of a Coincidence! roll

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol big_smile   Hey PD!

1. Pearldiver profile image87
        Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Someway... Howdy.. will be an interesting day the 23rd smile

It'll be interesting also to see if Judge Bird is on the bench.. hmm

working