jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

My pug is having her first season :/

1. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Some very strange behaviour, any tips? Obviously I need to keep an eye on her, in case she runs away looking for willies, what else?

I'm going to get her some little pug pants and panty liners, as we have just replaced ALL of our sheets with expensive Egyptian cotton (and as sad as it sounds, she actually sleeps at the end of our bed, and when its cold I tend to grab her and use her as a hot water bottle, especially when my wifey gets up at 6am and I intend to stay in bed until 9am).

Any advice? Or an idea about how long these things last for? We are going to get her spayed when its all past, as I can't handle the whole diaper thing, and I don't want my little girl to be violated....

1. Tirzah Laughs profile image85
      Tirzah Laughsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately no.

She's going to be anxious, whining, messy and different.  Some vets will spay during a heat but it is not recommended.

The diapers will help contain the mess and keep out an unexpecte d male if he finds her.

Otherwise you have to wait it out.

And spay quickly when she's done.

2. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

dont worry, its only bout 6 months long

-3ish weeks .. still quite awhile!

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Are you kidding?

1. 0

Lol, you wind up merchant, it's not is it?

1. 0

Oh.... I didn't see that last bit lol Still, that's a lot longer than my wifes seasons! I better be buying those pug panties!

3. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

yes - 3 weeks, you must have caught me mid edit, lol

1. 0

I suspect that I did... ha. You had me momentarily sh*t scared though!

1. sunforged profile image67
        sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

expected but only supposed to have lasted the time it took you to scroll down.

6 months is a relative number as her "season" will occur for 3 weeks each 6 months, some variance of course for the breed and individual

1. 0

Around 3 months ago I was laying in bed watching a DVD with the wife, when I turned to her and said "Do pugs have periods?", to which she replied "Of course not, don't be stupid". Then, last week I saw some panty liners in a pet store and I said "Yes they do have f'in periods". On Sunday I asked a fellow pug owner when pugs first 'come on', and was told that it be around 8 months old. Coco is now 8 months old.

This morning I woke up to see her running around like a lunatic and blood on the bed sheets, so I had 2 days to perpare for that, it was a complete shock.... my family only ever had male dogs, which we used to stud out for a bit of quick easy cash (well, asides from our homosexual Jack Russell who didn't turn a profit).

I even purchased the bestselling book on Pugs from Amazon, which I read from front to back, every single word, and at no stage did it mention periods. It did mention something about having to be 6 months old to be spayed, but that went over my head.

That is definitely one positive to getting a boy, although when boys come into season they REALLY go mental, my friend has a ChiChi which jumped out of a first floor window and came back two days later with his tail between his legs (clearly hadn't pulled).

Oh the joys hmm

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i luv pugs...i understand it's difficult for them to mate...something about their little stout bodies...maybe i'm wrong...i think they have great personalities....luv the french bull dog too...hmmmmmm....missing having a pet these days...