jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Watch your kids!

1. Whitney05 profile image69
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Check out the following video. It's rather sad, and yes it's pet related. Here's the gist:

Mom and grandmother at the house, 2 month old baby in a baby swing by himself in a room with a PUG and a LAB puppy. The 3 month old is attacked by one of the dogs, and no one knows which one, but the family tells the animal control officers to go ahead and euthanize the lab puppy. Watch the video and see how young the puppy is... I'd guess aroung 3-4 months.

By the way, if you check out the article link with the video, I find it quite humorous that hte title is something like "Dog attacks baby" or whatever. Now, you know if ther was a pit type fog in the house, it would be automattically assumed that the pit bull type dog attacked the baby and the article would be titled "Pit bull attacked baby." In this case they want you to read to find out that although in the video the reporter says they don't know which dog did it, that the lab is being blamed. The entire article says the lab DOG killed the baby, and not a puppy. HELLO! Look at the age of the puppy in the video.

Whatever watch the video :-)

2. Dottie1 profile image81
    Dottie1posted 8 years ago

About 2 weeks ago I walked into a house where there was an awaiting pitbull that I didn't know was there.  The owners were outside and I was a complete stranger to the dog.  My immediate reaction, I froze!  He did not bark but walked over to me, smelled my leg and layed down on my foot.  I stayed there until someone came in the house that knew the dog.  Then I bent over, petted him and said "goooooooooood doooooooogie!

3. RFox profile image81
    RFoxposted 8 years ago

This is yet another sad case of 2 completely preventable deaths of innocent beings. sad

This is exactly why I wrote my How to Prevent Dog Bites Involving Children hub.
    People just do not understand dogs and their interaction with children and babies in particular.

A 2 month old baby left alone in a swing with 2 dogs!

It doesn't matter the size of the dogs or how well behaved they are. Most dogs do not understand what babies are or how they are to be treated. And anyone with a newborn can see how fragile they are. One bite and that's all it takes, and bites can happen in a fraction of a second.

No pet should be left alone with any child under the age of 5 years!!! Please will everyone stop thinking it can't happen to them.

My dog is a trained pet therapy dog who used to work in hospitals. She's wonderful with children, elderly people, mentally ill people and handicapped people. She is trained to be loving to all in all situations and I still would NEVER leave her alone with any child under 5. There is too much risk involved.

This is such a tragic event and the parents will probably never be able to forgive themselves for their lack of judgment.

Everybody loses. Everybody. It's sad sad

1. Whitney05 profile image69
      Whitney05posted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree dogs do not see children and babies as humans because to a dog a baby and young child smells different, sounds different, and looks different, so they do not associate them with adults and older children.

4. shibashake profile image84
    shibashakeposted 8 years ago

Argh, this is just awful. Everyone with a new dog should at least get a "please don't do this" page from their first vet visit. I really think vets should do more to educate people on do's and don'ts since everybody goes to them to get puppy shots.

A fair number of people bring their kids to dog parks, and then let their kids shout and chase the dogs around. All it takes is one irresponsible person, and many end up having to pay the price - especially the dogs.

5. Veronica Bright profile image60
    Veronica Brightposted 8 years ago

I have my Grand babies here, and my Dog Papi does great with them, for the most part.  I still watch him like a hawk when he is around them though.  Dogs are primitive animals, even though domesticated.  They have instincts, and some have more dangerous instincts than other's.  Papi growls more at my 22 month old Grand daughter, and it is starting to concern me, but boy, do  watch him when EITHER of the babies is around him.