jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Weight loss in senior dog

1. we wece profile image74
    we weceposted 5 years ago

I have a 10 year old Labrador cross that has lost about 2 kilograms in weight lately, his breath also smells really bad like dead animal or a rubbish dump.
    He still has a very good appetite and will eat anything he can get into including his own and cat poo.
    Otherwise he seems healthy for an older dog, sleeps a lot but still loves a walk around the block.
    Is still able to bark vigorously at anyone that comes up the driveway.
    Anybody have any ideas what this might be, we thought it could be diabetes but the breath is rotten rather than sweet.
    Is it just old age?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image84
      Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am not an expert but have you had his thyroid checked? If there is a problem there the vet can put him on medication for that.

2. Puppyluv profile image82
      Puppyluvposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He needs to be checked out by a vet.  The bad breath could be caused by rotting teeth (which smells like a dead animal) and that could be causing complications in other internal organs, causing weight loss.  Also if he's eating feces, he could have picked up an intestinal parasite which would also cause weight loss.  Good luck!

1. leahlefler profile image98
        leahleflerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Puppylove. Get him to a vet - it could be something as simple as bad teeth, or something more serious. I hope he is OK once the vet sees him!

3. Dog Ma profile image86
      Dog Maposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He needs to see a vet, but also ask your vet about putting your dog on a home cooked diet. My dog has been on one for 6 years and her teeth and breath are perfect now.

2. flacoinohio profile image83
    flacoinohioposted 4 years ago

My dog is a five year old dalmation/yellow lab mix, both breeds are commonly diagnosed with a condition called Mega esophagus.  Megaesophagus is the failure of the esophagus to function properly, it does not push food that is swallowed into the stomach.  The food just sits in the esophagus until it is regurgitated or aspirated.  This could be the smell that you are experiencing with your dog.  A flouroscope will determine if megaesophagus is the issue.  Aspiration can lead to pneumonia which can lead to death, there is no way to fix it, but there are ways to feed your dog to help him get food into his system.  My vet fiddled around for six months before admiting he had no idea what was wrong.  I was referred to the Ohio State Veterinary Hospital where they discovered my dog had Megaesophagus.  My vet and Ohio State ran thousands of dollars worth of tests for nearly a year before they figured out the problem, they were milking me for money.  The test cost me $250 and it involved my dog being xrayed while drinking water, then eating soft mush food, and then hard dog food chunks.  The xray is live action photgraphed during the proceedure and the matter can be seen moving through the esophagus to the stomach.  My dog aspirated on the water so they stopped.  If you are still seeking an answer ask your vet about megaesophagus.

3. wordscribe43 profile image93
    wordscribe43posted 4 years ago

Time to see a vet- kidney disease is another possibility.