jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

How should I help a new born bunny?

1. Dottie1 profile image81
    Dottie1posted 8 years ago

Baby bunny was born couple of days ago in my garden up on a wall.  The bunny is now below the wall and no sign of mother.  Starting to rain and bunny is scared.  Should I pick bunny up and put back in the nest?  Will mother desert the baby bunny if I touch it?  Any thoughts to help me out?

2. Dottie1 profile image81

Bunny is under my camper.  I don't know when the last time little bunny ate! sad

3. WeddingConsultant profile image83
    WeddingConsultantposted 8 years ago

Maybe dinner?

And I'm not suggesting that the bunny ate last at dinner...

I'm making a suggestion for YOUR dinner...

4. Dottie1 profile image81

Not Yet.  I'd rather save him>

5. WeddingConsultant profile image83
    WeddingConsultantposted 8 years ago

I thought I'd toss out an option for ya...

So are you trying to get him to adapt back into the wild or take him as a pet?

1. Dottie1 profile image81
      Dottie1posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Back into the wild!  I just put crossed sticks over the nest so I would know if mom comes back or may be there are more bunnies in the ground. 

If I pick it up and put it back in it's nest it may crawl out and fall off the wall again.  Poor little thing!

6. Dottie1 profile image81

Now there are two baby bunnies.  I gave them some string beans from my garden.  Mom has not shown up today as far as I can tell.

7. 60
    quietschyposted 8 years ago

Bunny do nurse their kits only 1 or 2 times per day.  It is very hard to raise a kit per hand. You can not give it cowmilk. I think kitten milk or goat milk is good for them. But I rather would not mess with it.

8. joyride profile image61
    joyrideposted 7 years ago

I ve had many baby bunnies, the mom, only feeds them once a day, All animals in the wild usually take very good care of their babies, but they don t stay around, where the babies are, so that they should not attract any predators, that would harm their babies, The bunnies would look, like not very good parents, but all the babies, that I ve had have survived, The mom only come for a very, very short time, and the babies, have to be very quick and eat. I hope that your babies survived, it s not very nice finding any dead babies. I also believe that even if you were to touch the babies, to check them out, the mother, still will feed them, and if they ve been fed, you can usually tell, on their protruded tummies, they re usually very rounded, after they ve been eating.  If you re unsure, that they ve been fed, you could probably, give them a little kitten formula, so that they ll survive, something, could have happened to the mother in the wild,

9. KT pdx profile image86
    KT pdxposted 7 years ago

Give kitten formula if you're sure mom bunny hasn't been back.  Contact your local Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, and they'll direct you to a rehabber.

10. Edwin Clark profile image84
    Edwin Clarkposted 7 years ago

Yes mother rabbits do not stay with their young in the nest. She usually comes back to feed them before every dawn. Baby rabbits are fragile so if they don't get any milk at all in a few days especially outdoors and its cold they can die quickly. So since they're alive it's a good sign that the mother is feeding them.

Worse case scenario buy formulated kitten milk and you can feed them with a medicine dropper. Remember they're born with their eyelids shut so they can't see just yet. You can actually see their bellys plump up after they drink. Good Luck! smile