Training collars for dogs

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Valux profile image64
    Valuxposted 15 years ago

I recently had a friend of mine purchase one of these for her dog.  I must admit, I was very sketchy on the idea when she told me what it was.  I am a dog owner myself, and at first glance didn't think it would be right to put that sort of thing on my dog.  But I listened to her explanation and read the literature as well as perused several books on the subject.  I even used the collor on myself (not around my neck, but still felt the correction).  I'm still on the fence about the issue but after researching it for myself it seems a lot of the arguments against it, while understandable, can be exaggerated.  They don't burn the skin as some have purported, they cant stop the dogs heart.  Its a very mild correction that feels more like a vibration than any sort of static shock.  If you'd like more details you can see my hub at <snipped link>

My two dogs are a Jack Russel Terrier and a Pit Bull.  The pit is very sweet, but highly energetic as he is still a puppy.  After seeing the success my friend has had with her dog, I have to admit the idea of trying it with my dog has crossed my mind.  I have done training with him already and he is generally very well behaved, its just the jumping on people and barking that is hard to train out.  Let me know your opinions on this subject.  And just for the record, I'm not trying to start a brawl between the two sides here, just want to hear thoughts before I make a decision.  Thanks guys. smile

1. profile image49
      Beagles Guy Plusposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Training with e collars are a way of correcting a dogs action while they are doing what you dont want them to do(jumping on people)I train beagles and I wouldn't be without it. As far as the barking, i would use a bark collar which gives the dog a stimulate everytime he barks. Keep in mind some dogs bark for a reason, depending on the circumstances the bark collar would be thw way to go.

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

these should only be used as a last resort. there's no reason to use it on a puppy. there are much better ways to train. the shock collars are an easy way out, and it never truly trains the dog to act as you want. i've seen them in use, and would recommend other means of training before you try them. there are many ways to stop jumping, as well as barking. try those first. and try them for more than a few days, as these are natural habits of dogs and they can be hard to redirect if you aren't consistant.

1. Valux profile image64
      Valuxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would have to agree with you on that.  And I am very much trying to be consistent.  It only really gets bad when I have been gone and come back home.  Mostly I am working on the "wait" and "stay" commands.  I read in one book the best way to prevent jumping is that when you come home, don't make a big ordeal of it.  Just come inside and if they begin to jump, tell them no but for the most part ignore them.  Then when they calm down, give them their usual attention with a pet and rub hello.  This is beginning to work as I think he's starting to get the idea that he gets attention and rewarded when he's calmed down and not before.

3. Whitney05 profile image82

With jumping I find that it is best to not work when the dog is so pumped up (ie when you come home). The dog is already excited to see you, so it will be hard to get through what you want. My APBT has the jumping problem, but now when I come home from work, she's realized she can't (or rather shouldn't) jump. She more or less backs up and wiggles  and bows to the ground until I pet her.

I worked with her during regular play and training sessions. Try to get her excited by going up to her with a squeally, playful voice or with a toy or something. I get all in her way so that she has not choice but to jump. Just basically entice her to jump up somehow. When she would jump, I'd tell her 'off' and back up so she falls off. Never really touching her. Now, if she didn't get off but tried to walk with me when i would back up, i'd gently push her off and say 'off' as i did so. You can use whatever word,  but I personally wouldn't use 'down' because the dog can get it confused with 'down' that means lay down, which would work too if you dog was 100% fluent with the down command in any situation and under any stress or excitement level.

She still occasionally jumps but not nearly as bad.

Basically you want to teach the dog that you won't pet it until all fours are on the floor.

Just remember PRAISE is the key to this one. When you dog has all fours on the floor, praise (and pet) like crazy. Let the dog know that it gets more attention with all fours on the floor than when it jumps up.

1. Valux profile image64
      Valuxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I will certainly try that, thanks!  I didn't even think about "down" being confused with "lay down", cause he does have the lay down command understood really well.  He usually does well with me, stops jumping pretty quickly.  But when my roommate comes home he goes nuts and he pretty much does not listen to him at all.  Not sure if this is because my dog sees me as the "alpha" and therefore doesn't think he has to listen to my roommate or what.  But thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. smile

4. Whitney05 profile image82

You should have your roommate working with him as well. I don't think that the dog sees you as alpha, per say, but it's probably more or less, you spend more time training and working with him, and your roommate does not.

My APBT will listen ok to others in he house, but when she was younger (3-6 months) she would not do anything for anyone else, even for commands she had down pat with me. Mind you, she's only 15 months old currently, but there are still days where she will look at my mom or dad and just give this look of "what are you talking about?"

5. profile image49
    quietschyposted 15 years ago

Why training with the electro shock collar? Do they listen faster? No. I did it this way.
    Sounds brutal but it isn't and its faster.

I tell the dog to jump on me, and as soon as the dog is jumping i bring my knee up. So the dog is jumping right in the knee. My dog was a slow learner but even so, after the 3rd time it finely kicked in. Since then its peaceful in our house.

Jumping is bad. Strangers do love to sue the pet owner. So with jumping we petowner can loose the insurance and everything else. :-(

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that you can loose pet insurance bc your dog jumped on someone... unless the dog seriously hurt the person in the process.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)