jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Crazy Puppy - Need Advice

1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 6 years ago

I have a corgi puppy. There months old. He gets wilder every day. I've gotten so I'm afraid to have him around kids.

Can anyone share tips or advice on helping am puppy learn to be calm. He's bright, but seems to be incorrigible.

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He just needs some discipline and he will be fine. Enroll him in a behavioral class.

2. agvulpes profile image88
      agvulpesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would definitely agree with AEvans get him into a puppy training course ASAP to get him socialized with other dogs and humans. It worked a treat with our little Oliver.
      I would also agree about him being neutered but Vets here will generally not neuter dogs under 5 months of age.
      Another problem you may look at is where you obtained your puppy?
      Is there any chance of him being 'inbred'?
      As the 'dog whisperer' advises on his shows. The dog must learn where it is in the hierarchy of the family circle! smile

3. lilian1 profile image60
      lilian1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Dont worry he will quieten down my dog was the same he will quieten down when he is about  4/5 months old ....they all go through this stage..its quite normal behaviour..

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. Thank you. You win the prize for best reply. Or, the one that suits me and the dog. He's actually started getting better, but that was a harrowing couple of days. I've always had big dogs before this one. Very quiet puppies. The smaller breeds are apparently a different mindset.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

Not being there hard to tell. As a general rule I would grab em, and squeeze him to me, hold him/her tight and talk in a calming voice, and not let go till he settles down, while saying settle down
    over and over so he comes to understand the words.

1. profile image0

That does work, until you set him back down. Then he's bouncing of the walls again. I thought he didn't get enough exercise, but you can't wear him out. I'm typing right not with one hand and playing tug of war with the other.

He's actually gotten dangerous. He doesn't seem to mean any harm, but I think he honestly thinks this is a form of being petted.

Telling him no seems to be a challenge to him.

3. knolyourself profile image60

No he is all play and don't understand much else. Another thing that a lot of people do is take em out and wear and em out by running around or with other dogs. He's is going take a while to settle down, but they usually do. Better hide anything chewable.

4. earnestshub profile image90
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

You said he, so being a male, there is one solution. smile

My shitzu puppy thought he controlled the world. We took our vets advice and I'm glad we did. He remained stubborn as a mule, but he was no longer dangerous. smile

1. profile image0

I'm assuming you had him neutered. I thought a dog had to be older for that. I guess I'll call and find out. I did want to do that before he started marking his territory.

5. knolyourself profile image60

"neutered", no connection to your prob that I have ever heard of. Could be prob after
    6 months to a year but that would be with other dogs.

1. earnestshub profile image90
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some little male dogs can be a real problem, and dangerous due to aggression inherent in the breed as you would know.

I agree heaps of small male dogs just need proper training, but sometimes with males, especially savage little shitzus and terriers, they need their knackers nickin in my view if they refuse flat out to be controlled in any way and bite. smile

We have one uncut shitzu in the family still, and although he is well trained and belongs to my daughter inlaw who has a business grooming dogs, he is still dangerous if he simply doesn't like someone.

working