jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Animals and Garden Question

1. caninecrtitics profile image64
    caninecrtiticsposted 5 years ago

If i was to poison voles or moles in my yard would it affct the vegetables from my garden.  My yard is .50 acres and the poison spot would be about 150-200 feet away from the garden and in the ground for them to eat.  I just want to make sure my vegetables would be safe to eat.

I assume they would be because people poison outdoor animals everyday and they could wander into your garden or yard.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Randy Godwin profile image91
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are some products which will deter the creatures without killing them.  I suggest you check out other possibilities because animals or pets may attempt to eat the poisoned varmints and may die themselves.  smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image83
        theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. ddsurfsca profile image78
    ddsurfscaposted 5 years ago

Do not assume that, for my guess is that it would effect your vegetables or could, for any poison that you put out for pests will be eaten my the pests, then they go off to die and who knows where, besides the poison I would assume comes into contact with the ground and is absorbed and then when water is involved will move it around.  It would really depend on the kind of poison you are referring to.  My dad and my brother are both pest control men and they said that you should get the name of what you are using, and call poison control or your local (licensed) pest control company.  Potential for a dangerous situation.

3. davenmidtown profile image87
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

Hello Caninecrtitics:

Some poison would certainly effect your vegetables while others would not. Arsenic is a poison that is capable of getting into the ground water, and thus, into your vegetables.   If the Voles are affecting your garden I would consider traps rather then poisons. There are also plants that will help.  Gopher plant is one such plant...however use this plant with caution.  You can also check with your local fish and game and see if you can live trap the voles and release them elsewhere.  Sometimes you can and sometimes you should not. With ground squirrels, if you trap them you must kill them.  I hope this helps.