jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

My cats are bored (and driving me nuts!)

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 4 years ago

I think it's mutiny. One cat opens my dresser drawers and takes me clothes and the other cat takes the clothes and puts them in the litter box.

I ordered some magnet locks for my dresser, but they don't work with the kind of dresser I have and I tried this hanger trick:
    http://distilleryimage1.instagram.com/0 … 65e3_7.jpg

Then I tried wrapping a belt around the knobs, she was able to undo it. They are also able to open doors, so I can't just put my clothes in another room.

I also put chairs in front of the dressers so they couldn't get in, but they were able to crack them open just enough to pull clothes out.

They're Bengals that I rescued from a shelter when they were babies and I'm not going to get rid of them, they're my babies. But, however, because they're Bengals, they can't be left alone for very long (very emotionally dependent on humans.) I don't leave them alone for days at a time, but when I go shopping, I come back to all my clothes out of my dresser and then I need to do laundry.

I've tried getting cat videos for them to watch on TV, which seems to help a little. They have lots of toys, too.

I don't want to kennel them and my vet suggests possibly anti-depressants for them, but I feel bad putting them on drugs.

Any thoughts or ideas?

1. thefinalword profile image61
      thefinalwordposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Everything I am reading right now about cat training talks about redirecting or substitution behavior. To get them to stop, you possibly need to find another activity that appeals more to them. Maybe you could leave them a box of toys that have more appeal than clothes, e.g. toys with catnip in them. Just an idea. I'm no expert. Just learning.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

Get a video recorder and capture their antics! You could have a youtube hit on your hands big_smile

When I was a kid we raised Siamese cats, and had lots of 'em! My adopted mom used a water pistol and squirted them whenever they got into stuff they weren't supposed to. They did NOT like that! lol
    I remember it working for the most part but then again, I don't know what they did when we were not around! yikes lol

These days I have a cat that often 'helps' me when I am typing! Such a cheeky little thing she is lol

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have some older videos of my cat doing this.

Here's her opening them

Taking clothes out

Her trying to open drawers after I put chairs in front

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Flash player is disabled on this computer but I will have to check those out this evening on the laptop! I do enjoy the antics that cats get up to lol

They may drive us nuts sometimes but thats what I love about them big_smile

3. jesusmyjoy profile image52
    jesusmyjoyposted 4 years ago

My cat is like that to..i use the spray...its at the walmart or a pet store...spray it on area's you don't want them to be.its suppose to make a odor they can't stand.

4. GoGreenTips profile image61
    GoGreenTipsposted 4 years ago

You have some tenacious cats! Our likes to pulls treats out of drawers, cabinets and closets. Even learned how to open a latch on a small table...They are smart animals. From what i saw on the video looks like you might be the loser already...

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

If you have neighbor's with kids who wouldn't mind kitty sitting for you sometimes you may be able to get their help, at the same time giving them a way to earn a little pocket money (or sweets or what have you)?

6. wen xinghai profile image60
    wen xinghaiposted 4 years ago

7. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 4 years ago

Does anyone know if the automatic cat laser on ThinkGeek is any good? I'd like to get this. I thought playing with a cat laser would help and I think it's made the problem worse because she tries to wake me up so that I'll play with her. I love my cats, I really do, but they are the neediest cats I've ever met. In fact, I'm playing cat laser with my other cat, Chip, right now. :S

It's weird that they're aware I control the laser.

Nilla and the laser

8. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 4 years ago

Hang yoyo or wool ball near staircase (if there is any), that will do.