jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Would you adopt a wild mustang?

1. Beebuzby profile image60
    Beebuzbyposted 4 years ago

Mustangs are horses that have become feral. The USDA Bureau of Land Management manages the wild horse herds in the United States. I just adopted a four-year-old gelding in October , and I wonder what horse lovers out there feel about adoption of unwanted horses, and about adopting a wild horse versus, say, a domestic horse from an auction or rescue.

1. manlypoetryman profile image71
      manlypoetrymanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would adopt one first...wild or unwanted...as long as I wasn't the one removing the wild one from his land. Concerning the wild mustang...there are programs in place to adopt them...I guess so that they are managed from over-populating an area. Then...I would adopt one...only as a last measure!

The wild mustang...always deserves to run free...like it has always been...since the first Spaniards...left a few behind on their voyages!

2. Beebuzby profile image60

I think you have a good point. It is sad to see the mustangs removed from the wild. I guess the only thing that makes me feel better about it is that they were domesticated animals. It is far sadder to see a majestic lion confined to a cell in a zoo, pacing because of boredom or anxiety. At least horses have been friends to people for thousands of years.

I am interested to find out what others think of this subject.

3. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

This is just a theoretical idea... And depending on the location, it may not be practical.

Keep the mustang "imprisoned" for 30 days. Provide food, water, shelter, etc. during that time.

After 30 days, open the gate. Continue to provide food, etc. Let the animal decide whether to stay or go.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And if he stays, he's a Democrat.

If he goes, he's a Republican.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I've been watching too much politics. big_smile

4. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I used to ride with a girl that who had a mustang. It was a pretty good trail horse. I'd be leery of adopting one. I've heard they are notorious cribbers and standard height fences don't keep them in.

5. Beebuzby profile image60

Interesting! I've never heard of the cribbing thing being a mustang trait. My quarter horse mare, Dixie Girl is a cribber, probably because she was starved and abused before being sold at auction. I'll have to keep an eye on Dakota and try to keep him outside as much as possible; but I'm not really sure what the real cause of cribbing is. At any rate, he did break out of his mustang pen (right through the  six foot fence), so I'll keep everyone posted on how he does when he moves to the "regular" farm.