jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Guinea Pig losing hair

1. Ms Chievous profile image81
    Ms Chievousposted 4 years ago

I have noticed lately my guinea pig is losing hair in small patches.  I am thinking he is pretty old and hoping that is the reason.  I have not changed his diet or the type of bedding.  Any suggestions on what is wrong or what I should do?

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Get him a hat. big_smile

2. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
    PaulaHenry1posted 4 years ago

Check him for fleas. Really! My daughters had fleas and lost numerous patches of fur. Or it could be under stress of some sort. Hard to say...a vet would know for sure I guess.

3. Ms Chievous profile image81
    Ms Chievousposted 4 years ago

Thank You, I will check the flea situation out!  If that does not work, maybe I will go for the hat suggestion smile

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

There are a lot of possibilities: mange, mites, ringworm, accidental poisoning etc.  Best to ask a vet.

1. 2uesday profile image89
      2uesdayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree about getting him checked over. If it is mites are easy to treat now with modern treatments but if left they cause lots of distress to the G.P. they also caan affect the creatures when they are a bit run down or vulnerable. I think they can pick up mites from their bedding materials such as hay/straw.

5. wordscribe43 profile image92
    wordscribe43posted 4 years ago

Cushings, fungal infections, vitamin deficiencies, something called "barbering" where they do it to themselves (or to a cage mate).  Psycheskinner is right, the list goes on and on.  It's time to visit a vet!

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago

I used to breed cavies for showing and for my own pets. In old age hair loss is quite common (old age being 5 to 7 years old). I still agree that getting a vet to check for mites, skin problems etc is the best option though, (just in case).

Good Luck.

7. 60
    Angelus23posted 4 years ago

When my guinea pig was losing her hair, it was because she was stressed.  Anything causes stress to them, bedding doesnt matter but they love to burrow, make him a little burrow area, he might feel less stressed.  If your holding him too much or not enough that causes stress, try giving him fresh fruits and veggies.  Trying making his area less stressful, no loud noises, calmhim, light petting.  Make him feel special and important.  It sounds weird but after I did this to mine she was happy, she stopped losing hair.  It could help, giving them chewing stuff is wonderful, salt licks.  Treats, toys, anything helps.  If your stressed their stressed, so try and not be stressed around him, if you have ever taken him outside that would be wonderful, but I bid you warning, do research online or books to make sure you have no harmful plants by you that could hurt them.  Mine loved clovers, but look up harmful plants to guinea pigs online just like that and maybe you will find something.

I hope this helped, I loved my guinea pig.  I did anything for her.

1. Ms Chievous profile image81
      Ms Chievousposted 4 years ago in reply to this

thank you for your reply.  I have been trying to spend time with the poor thing and even putting him the window sill because the weather is not the greatest.  I really like  your point about making him feel important.....

8. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I have been thinking about this and wondered if the G.P is allergic to something that is making it scratch its fur out and thought that wood shavings sold as bedding might be the cause. However, now I have read about the age factor it could just be that. My G.P. is only 2 and a 1/2 so his fur loss was when I first got him as a baby pig needed treating and my previous piggies had very short coats.