jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

FUS

1. 58
    Richard09posted 8 years ago

One of our cats has developed Feline Urological Syndrome, and has to go onto a special diet to help prevent formation of struvite crystals. The vet prescribed Royal Canin canned food, but I'm not impressed with the ingredient list (by-products in gelatin, basically), and neither cat likes it. Does anyone have experience with a brand that has kept their cat healthy for some time?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
      mistyhorizon2003posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Speak to your vet about the 'Hills' Prescription diets, they cover every possible medical problem within their range, and are excellent, from 'KD' (Kidney diet), to 'CD' (for urinary tract diseases). These foods come in both wet and dry forms. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/product … cale=en_GB

Hope this helps.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
        mistyhorizon2003posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Trust me on this, I worked for a vets and studied these products on a course. They truly are the best on the market.

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

*waiting for someone to come up with a link to the magic cat food* big_smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

My cat had that problem. He eats Prescription Diet CD and hasn't had any problems yet. Sorry if I'm treading on anyone's toes smile

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Your cat eats CDs? yikes

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

If you knew my cat you'd see how funny that is, he chews on everything and would probably try to eat CDs if he could.

I'm sure the CD means something on the catfood but I really don't know right now smile

5. 58
    Richard09posted 8 years ago

No toes here, I'm asking a real question. Buying the special foods locally seems to be a problem, so it may finish up as mail order anyway. I've managed to pick up a couple of cans of Nature's Recipe, and a bag of Purina One dry food, and I've ordered some Flint River Ranch dry food. I'll see which one(s) the cats will eat, and so on. But I was hoping for a testimonial or two of the "I've been feeding my sick cat Brand X for the past two years and he's doing fine" variety. I guess I should put Hill's Prescription Diet on the list. smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

It is a little pricier than your regular over-the-counter food but it seems to do the trick.

7. KT pdx profile image85
    KT pdxposted 8 years ago

I haven't had a cat with crystals, but I used to do demos in Petco stores.  I've heard a lot about different brands of cat food.  I would highly suggest Blue Buffalo food.  It's a holistic food, with vitamins and minerals included (not added in after everything's cooked), and has human-grade ingredients.  It's improved the coats of my cats, and I've heard good things about it as far as crystals are concerned.  Oh, and any food that's quality will be more expensive than brands you find at the grocery store, because of what's in it.  Pets eat less of the quality food because they get the same amount of protein from a smaller amount of food.

working