jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

PETA seeks memorials to cows killed on Ill. roads

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

CHICAGO  An animal rights group wants Illinois to install highway signs in memory of cattle killed when trucks hauling them flipped in two separate wrecks.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked for permission to buy the markers, one in suburban Chicago and one northwest of Peoria. The group says the signs would pay tribute to the more than 20 cattle killed as a result of negligent driving this year.

Illinois Department of Transportation spokesman Josh Kauffman says the request will likely be denied because the state's Roadside Memorial Act specifies that only relatives who lost loved ones in highway crashes may request memorials.

read the rest
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45830168/#.Tv9SLFYlrT4
    OK I'm sorry for any animals that becomes roadkill,but memorials for cows killed on the highway?..maybe the memorials would be more appropriate in the slaughterhouse! roll

2. SaDDOS profile image60
    SaDDOSposted 5 years ago

Mmmmmm... Beef cake.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

http://www.kirklandviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Memorial-Day-Cow-and-Coyote.jpg

1. JamesPoppell profile image86
      JamesPoppellposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have always loved animals. Having said that, I believe that any group (mainly P.E.TA.) that puts animals on a higher pedestal than human beings is a seriously flawed group.  Peta has pulled some outrageous stunts over the years and they never fail to baffle me...

4. AshtonFirefly profile image83
    AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago

But what makes animals less worthy of memorial than us?
    People make memorials for cats, etc. People consider animals family.
    Why not cows?

1. profile image0
      oldandwiseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I feel the money would be better spent on the homeless, needy children and a vast number of other good charities in the "name of the cows lost perhaps."

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
        AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

true...but I was questioning the negative sentiment in general, not the particular application in this case.

2. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"But what makes animals less worthy of memorial than us?"

I think if someone wants to memorialise their pet snake or goat, then I think that would/should be a personal choice. However I do agree with 'oldandwise' that the money would be better spent on "other good charities" in the "name of the cows lost perhaps."

5. Green Lotus profile image59
    Green Lotusposted 5 years ago

Cows today, deer tomorrow followed by squirrels. PETA is one of the most overblown, self-serving lobby-driven organizations on the planet.

This from a consummate tree hugger. roll

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

I think that PETA needs to get back to planet Earth and start being a little more reasonable and a lot less fanatically inclined!!!
    roll

7. Green Lotus profile image59
    Green Lotusposted 5 years ago

One of my favorite PETA quotes big_smile

“PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious.”
    ― Anthony Bourdain,

working