jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

How can a person rationally eat bugs?

1. wj-writingjockey profile image60
    wj-writingjockeyposted 4 years ago

How can we eat bugs in a rational ways which is not detrimental to our health.
    By Frying
    By Fermentation

Any other ideas?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

...naturally?...sometimes they just fly right at ya....it's important not to smile while ya ride?  lol

1. jenniferrpovey profile image92
      jenniferrpoveyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm told cicadas taste quite good fried and dipped in chocolate, although I've never personally tried it.

3. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

When I lived in Brazil as a kid we used to eat baked bugs. They were baked with a little bit of oil and some sort of bread-crumb type thing.

I vaguely remember my parents telling me it was just little pieces of chicken and I believed them.

My younger brother once scooped up a handful of small black ants and dumped them in my older brother's water bottle. It wasn't clear, so he had no idea and he chugged that whole thing down, ants and all.

4. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

I guess it all depends on how you are brought up... I never could stomach it but have seen plenty of bugs eaten on my travels..

5. NicoleP79 profile image60
    NicoleP79posted 4 years ago

Escargot is delicious (if you like mushrooms and I do and as long as you don't look at them).  From what I understand America is the only country in the world that doesn't eat bugs as a meal.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank God and I hope that sane tradition continues.  Who says Americans aren't smart?!

2. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nicole, I love escargot in garlic butter with French bread. But what has escargot got to do with mushrooms, last time I had them, they looked like snails to me.  Also, I'm not sure escargot qualifies as a bug either.  I always thought it was a mollusc.

1. NicoleP79 profile image60
        NicoleP79posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Disturbia I thought they tasted like mushrooms not that they were mushrooms or look like them. and there is a fine line between a mullusc and a bug.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
      mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The British don't eat bugs as a meal either, or at least not what I term as bugs. Yes some eat snails in restaurants etc, but we wouldn't really call them 'bugs'. A bug to us is an ant, beetle, spider etc.

Going back to the snails, (Escargot), the people I know who have tried them say if you took away the garlic butter they would be pretty tasteless and uninteresting. My answer, have the garlic butter on a good quality beef steak instead wink

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Plenty of bugs are safe to eat raw.  It's just protein with an exoskeleton--like little lobsters.

7. JanHeath profile image83
    JanHeathposted 4 years ago

Bear Grylls seems to eat bugs in almost every show of Man vs Wild.  Usually he eats them raw however he doesn't look like he enjoys them much smile