jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Prozac for Dogs?

1. shibashake profile image84
    shibashakeposted 7 years ago

There are now all these new drugs for dogs including one for obesity, one for separation anxiety, and a bunch, including prozac, for aggression. These drugs are often used together with a training regime.

My first reaction to this is "Good Lord!" big_smile

But then I started thinking about the people I know who use Prozac. Indeed it has helped many of them with extreme anxiety issues, and together with psychiatric treatment, they have ultimately kicked their anxiety issues, stopped taking Prozac, and lived a happier life.

So can the same be done for our dogs? When dogs have these "issues" are they a result of chemical imbalances in the brain? or is it all environmentally based? What do you all think?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I believe it can be a combination of both as some breeds are bred to much which can cause imbalances and it could also be the food that they eat.
      My cocker takes a allergy pill everyday and also takes an antibiotic when he begins to get hot spots in the summer, or if our son decides he should feed him something he shouldn't and then low and behold he begins itching and before you know it is antibiotic , allergy pill combination. If Prozac works and won't harm I don't see why not. smile

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 7 years ago

Well I'm thinking that the drug companies will give Prozac to babies in the womb, so we now have a profession of prenatal
    psychiatrists. Still I haven't heard of dog psychiatry yet, but I guess that will be just around the corner, but meantime its only a dog. Know a guy whose dog is about 50 pounds overweight from giving him steroids for scratching.

3. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

The drugs that you're referencing aren't really new. Most don't work as they should, especially most of the separation anxiety medications. Some work, but not all. I don't think that a pill for agression would be good bc it'll make the stupid pet parents stupider bc they'll rely on the pill to "fix" their dog instead of actually working with the dog.

4. distinctive1_mg profile image61
    distinctive1_mgposted 7 years ago

I don't trust pharmaceuticals in general so..