jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Fish, Cat or Dog?

1. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago

I'm thinking of getting any of these pets for my mother this summer because I'm not always going to be home anymore as I feel its time for me to move on in life and get my own place. I was just wondering which pet would keep her occupied more as much as I did when I was a kid.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A fish is not a pet.  I've had several aquarium setups, including one beautiful salt water tank, but never got emotional over the fish and never petted them (although one shrimp and a starfish would take food from my hand).  It was always a decoration, albeit a beautiful one.  Never a pet.

Before giving a cat or dog to someone, are they willing and eager to take on the responsibility of a pet?  Even a cat requires a considerable investment in time and a dog needs much, much more than a cat.

1. Johnjfernando profile image60
        Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If she is the type, I would go with a small-breed dog. They are easier in many ways to take care of. We're actually going to be getting a Lhasa Apso as soon as she becomes a champion and is done doing shows.

Please though, don't support the backyard breeders or pet stores. Go to either a reputable breeder, or even better, a pound/shelter. Save a dog that's already here if you can.

2. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

I agree that a small dog or a cat is the way to go. The best way to go is to adopt from a animal shelter.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

You got to take a dog out to do the business while you follow with the scooper. This may or may not be good exercise for your mother and keep her occupied in the manner in which you intend. Also, you have to give a dog a bath, as opposed to a fish.

A cat is much more self-sufficient and mostly doesn't bother you, if you don't bother it. It's easier to teach a cat to talk as opposed to a dog or a fish, if your mother is one who likes to chat it up.

I'd send your mother to Long John Silver's if you decide on the fish.

4. K Kiss profile image75
    K Kissposted 4 years ago

First of all consult whether she wants a pet. If yes then definitely a dog or a cat. A cat is way more moody than a dog. You never own a cat, the cat owns you. Cats also go through phrases of mood swings. Having a purring cat on ones lap is truly rewarding. I have kittens of my own and they are moody and very ill mannered tongue. Love to help me in the kitchen and the most adorable pets on earth.

You can also go for dogs and they are great as companions. Dogs are more reliable than cats.

5. Java Programs profile image61
    Java Programsposted 4 years ago

Dog in my view is wonderful pet .... honest and faithful to u always ...