jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

1. 60
    tennisgirl977posted 4 years ago

I really wanted to find an answer as I have been around horses for 7 years now and I have gone through times of when horses have spooked and I have been on a horse and a horse gets into a fight with another horse and i get kicked while on the horse, luckily not hurt fully, then a horse i don't know well pushes me out of the stable, i fly on the floor luckily don't get stepped on and runs to the fields  but these were on horses I rode at a school and ride well but I heard later that that particular horse can do that.
    I started sharing a horse and his great, but after experiencing a few bad things on the school horse has made me a little tense, and i know people say horses can feel when u are tense, but what happens if you don't show u are tense, can they really read your mind?? I don't understand that? also say you go to tack up a horse, and he spooks will he/she be aware that u are there or just spook won't think u are there and just jump on you or step on you? can they do this for sure?
    I have lost my confidence since these incidences and i really needed reassurance form anyone that can help me understand, and help me get my confidence back through there knowledge, I would really appreciate your help.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't believe horses are psychic but they are extremely observant and can pick up on very subtle changes in someone's behavior. If several horses start to act up at the same time, it may be that they've begun receiving some rough handling from someone.

From your description, it sounds like it might be helpful to work around a more sedate mount for awhile. After getting back into the groove, you'll be able to handle more challenging horses with confidence again, if you choose to.

Don't let pride lure you into situations that you aren't comfortable with. Hang in there and Good luck.

2. mordorr profile image77
      mordorrposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Horses are so strange, but lovely too. I looked after someones horses once, and they were all different, but what I noticed was they did not attack, or bully anyone with a wheelbarrow. I only found this out because I was always mucking out,  grooming, or showering them. Horses are like people, and can take a dislike to someone. This happened with a large grey mare who started off friendly, but I could not give her all my attention, as I had other horses to look after. I think, she was used to a bit more, and she fell into a long grumpy mood. I have also seen a horse kick out at one stranger that marched in the stable and tried to take control. Horses do tend to behave for the hard working person who never gets to ride because they are mucking out so much. I also have seen horses protect people from more boisterous, dangerous horses. I have seen horses run and greet like an old friend, and play wildly, so maybe it is the horse which needs working out. What type of horse are they? I think the right horse will find you in the end. It is so hard, if you do not own your own horse, but that is how you learn horses are like children, and they take time to get to know you and trust you. If you purchase a horse it can be for a long time. Just visiting another person's horses can be upsetting when you go home unless you get paid for it. I think you will be fine, it just takes a little time.

1. 60
        tennisgirl977posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thankyou :-)

2. PaintedLady2000 profile image80
    PaintedLady2000posted 4 years ago

Horses read body language, not minds. Does the horse know that you are there when you're saddling?  Yep, they can see you.  How they react when they spook, depends on how much they respect you, and see you as a leader.  If they respect you, they will not jump onto you.  To me, it sounds like you've had some rough experience with riding.  If were you and you take lessons, I would ask the instructor to put me on a gentler horse, while I rebuild my confidence. 

It sounds like most of the horses that you have had access to require a more experience hand, and are possibly beyond your ability.  I don't mean this as an insult, just an observation.  Find some gentler horses to work with, some that you can safely handle and ride.  That will help you rebuild your confidence in working with horses.

Good luck and God bless.

1. 60

Thankyou so much! Yes your right! I have been around many horses and have ridden all different styles, but the ones I've had issues mainly with were horses that I didn't handle in the stables just mainly rode at a school. The one I'm sharing at the moment seems to be kind, but u know it's so hard to trust when one has done something. I have to try to get over it somehow and try to trust again. Thanks again for your advice :-)

3. SandyMcCollum profile image86
    SandyMcCollumposted 4 years ago

Horses are very telepathic. Keep your mind focused and try to control the fear, and it'll all be good again.

1. 60

hi, what do you mean by telepathic?

1. PaintedLady2000 profile image80
        PaintedLady2000posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi.  Horses are not telepathic, they are just really good at reading body language that you may not even know you are giving off.  Staying focused and control your fear are both sound pieces of advise though.

1. 60

Thanks paintedlady. Now that sounds correct:-) have a blessed day xx