jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

A crippling debilitating dog disease that took my dogs life last week

1. Marla Rose profile image86
    Marla Roseposted 4 years ago

Let's find a cure for "Degenerative Myelopathy".  A central nervous system disease that deteriorates the spinal cord of certain breeds of dogs making them paralyzed in the rear legs.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe that's what happened to our family dog many years ago. He became paralyzed and had to be put down.

I'm sorry for your loss.

2. Nettlemere profile image93
      Nettlemereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've seen it in German Shepherd dogs, very distressing for the dog and its people. Really sorry you've had to experience it with your dog.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm sorry for your loss, Marla - my sincerest sympathy.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 4 years ago

Aww, Marla, sorry for your loss honey! (((hug))) You're right, more research should be done. Are you up for it?

3. Marla Rose profile image86
    Marla Roseposted 4 years ago

Thank you for your kind regards.  I truly appreciate it!  Yes, it was hard seeing our family dog pass away after 10 and half years.  She was a female brindle Boxer, named Sydney.  She was actually a gift for my youngest child on his 9th birthday.  I bought him a puppy since he had been wanting a dog for sometime.  So we bought Sydney from a person in the neighborhood where we lived at just seven weeks old.  Sydney was a very resilient dog.  She loved car rides and taking baths.  It is still hard to talk about her as I write my eyes just tear up.  Though I know she is in a better place now and is no longer suffering, we miss her everyday.  We still call out her name like she was still with us.  Even though we have another dog in the house that we love, it just ain't the same without her.

4. Kalux profile image90
    Kaluxposted 4 years ago

So devastating to lose such a beloved pet. I've been there! So very sorry for your loss.