Labrador Retrievers

1. Suranee1969 profile image83
    Suranee1969posted 4 years ago

I would like to know if Labrador Retrievers can be grouped into 2 types: show bred
    and field bred.

I've been asking my dog's vet about this and he says he's not sure. The photo is of my Labrador Retriever, Chester. The Labradors I've seen so far here in Sri Lanka are shorter than him. I read somewhere 'field bred' Labradors are taller and the tails are not as thick as the 'show bred' kind.

I would like to know if someone who has knowledge about this can let me know if my Labrador is a field bred or not. Thank you in advance.

2. Shaddie profile image94
    Shaddieposted 4 years ago

Labs are labs are labs... Typically "field bred" labs are considered as being lankier, leggier, and longer than their "show bred" fellows, which are stockier and shorter in both leg and body. "Show bred" labs are characterized by their roundness, whereas "field bred" labs look like they were intended to run or participate in agility.

In addition to this, there are "pet bred" labs, which are animals that are not particularly fit to be of show OR field quality.

I would like to point out that these terms are in no way official and are in no way a basis of field or show skill in a show. Any lab can be a good retriever or fielder, regardless of body shape. The terms above are not KC or AKC recognized. They are just describing words people sometimes use to talk about the myriad of body shapes that labs can have and the typical type of body shape that dogs in the field or show or pet genre have.

1. Suranee1969 profile image83
      Suranee1969posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Shaddie.