jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Dog smell

1. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 4 years ago

What is the most effective way to get dog smell out of my carpet and house? What has WORKED for you?

1. wetnosedogs profile image62
      wetnosedogsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I shampoo the carpet once a month. and if I can't or want a quick job, use the foam cleaner in a can. I have 3 dogs at home, so I don't smell dog smell. Must be used to it. I basically clean the carpet cause of the traffic and to keep the fleas at bay.

2. Laura Schneider profile image93
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Oh dear, I hate to say it but...

I think your first try should be professionally steam cleaning all the carpets (and your furniture, and washing/dry cleaning all fabrics if the smell is in them also). You may need to do this twice, and it still may not provide you enough relief.

The only sure way I know of that's worked is replacing the carpet--either with other new carpet (and new padding) or better yet wood floors.

My mother got the dog smell out of her fully carpeted house by first using a home steam cleaner (about $200, and make sure you get the kind that heat the water themselves) a few times over her carpet and upholstery then called in the pros who finally got almost all of the smell out.

Of course, throwing all of the windows open as often as possible will help, too: fresh air is good for you, besides.

Good luck, lambservant! I hope you succeed! Write back in this column and let us know what you try/tried and how well it worked. Cheers!

3. Helena Ricketts profile image95
    Helena Rickettsposted 4 years ago

If you have hardwood floors under your carpeting the the easiest and quickest thing to do is rip all of the carpet out and polish the hardwood.

Carpet is horrible when you have dogs.  That smell will not come completely out no matter what you do.  If the dog has messed on the carpet, he will do it again on the new carpet when you aren't looking and the smell will return.

Best thing is get the carpet out and keep it out.  You are more than likely wasting your money if you replace it.  Go hardwood or tile.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago